Advertisement

Unity or Unreal

Started by February 08, 2018 10:05 PM
9 comments, last by MobileGameGraphics.com 6 years, 6 months ago

Now, I know we got similarities. Unity, you code. Unreal, you drag and drop, which engine would be better for game developers?

21 minutes ago, Timothy Sharp said:

Unity, you code. Unreal, you drag and drop

While Unreal does put their graphical Blueprint scripting front-and-center, the engine fully supports native development in C++ (and I'd hazard a guess that most projects of significant complexity go that route).

23 minutes ago, Timothy Sharp said:

which engine would be better for game developers?

There are many, many games developed in either engine, both indie and commercial. Both are good for game developers.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

As I beginner dev myself, I put some time into researching each one. I'm going to assume that you'll probably not be looking into the financial aspects of things (which I would propose Unity has the better option for keeping the most money), but on an ease of learning curve. 

For myself, today was my first day in learning UNITY. I chose this because it has the easier learning curve and has C# Scripting. This seems un-intuitive because I learned c++ and my university also teaches c++. But I found jobs these days wanting more C# because of the uses outside game dev. Unreal is probably the more 'hardcore' choice, but Unity can probably do everything as a beginner from what my research has told me. 

Just a beginner programmer trying to make it through to game dev on Twitch.tv/Jacob_McG

Unreal has an edge in fidelity for high-end games (AAA). But Unity is more approachable and more elegant. It seems that Unity is quickly gaining ground and improving fast, I know of at least one big studio that switched from Unreal to Unity recently.

Having used both, I would personally recommend Unity unless you have a specific reason to use Unreal.

Check out War to the Core the world domination space MOBA-RTS hybrid.
Join us on Discord.
Into sci-fi novels? Then check out Spectral Legends.

• For complete beginners or those who do not want to code: Unreal (with Blueprints)
  • For people with experience in high performance native software development (i.e scientific, banking, visualization industry) then Unreal (C++).
  • For more vocational developers or those familiar with things like Java and .NET (VB.NET, C#) then Unity is useful because non-native languages such as VB.NET or C# are far less challenging than C++.
  • For many companies, often they simply don't have any other choice but to use C++ because that is what their middlewhere requires. No point in wasting months writing .NET bindings just to use a specific native library. So Unreal (C++).

I still personally recommend the C++ route if your are starting out. It still looks better on a candidate's CV.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jacob McGivern said:

As I beginner dev myself, I put some time into researching each one. I'm going to assume that you'll probably not be looking into the financial aspects of things (which I would propose Unity has the better option for keeping the most money), but on an ease of learning curve. 

For myself, today was my first day in learning UNITY. I chose this because it has the easier learning curve and has C# Scripting. This seems un-intuitive because I learned c++ and my university also teaches c++. But I found jobs these days wanting more C# because of the uses outside game dev. Unreal is probably the more 'hardcore' choice, but Unity can probably do everything as a beginner from what my research has told me. 

Would you like to make a game together? WE can both collaborate on a project. I've thought of some Ideas myself, but i need help putting them in a game

Advertisement
9 hours ago, Timothy Sharp said:

Would you like to make a game together? WE can both collaborate on a project. I've thought of some Ideas myself, but i need help putting them in a game

You can find me on my daily twitch stream. Feel free to come on in, and we can start bouncing ideas and then start using Unity Collab (if Unity is the way you want to go). I just started Unity this week, but if you're willing to work with me, I am too! 

Edit: <<<< Twitch link under my profile pic

Just a beginner programmer trying to make it through to game dev on Twitch.tv/Jacob_McG

3 minutes ago, Jacob McGivern said:

You can find me on my daily twitch stream. Feel free to come on in, and we can start bouncing ideas and then start using Unity Collab (if Unity is the way you want to go). I just started Unity this week, but if you're willing to work with me, I am too! 

Edit: <<<< Twitch link under my profile pic

You got discord? Also what is your stream schedule?

If you do have discord add me

Fritz0604

If your new to making games, Unity is the best starting engine. With more experience you use Unreal.

In the long run learn both, or what ever engines is popular at the time.

You're developers, limiting yourself to one engine will only be a burden. Learning a new engine is fast after you learned your first; same for code languages.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, MMK said:

Unity is quickly gaining ground and improving fast

Unfortunately it is the opposite. Unity is decaying faster than it's improving.

It isn't much of a problem for large teams because Unity is working on making the engine as moddable as they can. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptableRenderPipeline.html

It's a problem for small teams with no money, there are fixes in the asset store, for this reason small developers jump to Unreal after learning with Unity for a while or learn how to fix the problems them self.

17 hours ago, kop0113 said:

For complete beginners or those who do not want to code: Unreal (with Blueprints)

I have mixed feelings on this. I help a lot of Unreal developers and the ones who do not know how to code can't use blueprints either. This leads to problem making simple things like inventories. 

However Blueprints does allow people with very limited programming experience, like Python or JavaScript, to jump right in. Blueprints is still code.

18 hours ago, kop0113 said:

For people with experience in high performance native software development (i.e scientific, banking, visualization industry) then Unreal (C++)....

I agree with all the other points. Experienced C++ coders should feel comfortable with Unreal even if it's there first engine.

Also if your new to game development and plan on using C++ then Unreal is a great place to start. Using code with the Unreal engine teaches you what you need to know in the end.

But it's the path filled with tears of frustration, not because of Unreal either.

On my opinion, i rather choose unreal if i am starting creating a game. You can learn something new afterward. 

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement