Advertisement

Video game programming books or resources and calculus

Started by March 16, 2018 10:47 PM
2 comments, last by Master thief 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi everyone, as summer approaches and the college semester comes close to ending. I want some books or resources you would reccomend to a beginner video game programmer.

On a side note, what are the important calculus topics that are applied to programming video games?

For learning programming basics, I recommend Khan Academy. That site can also teach you calculus, but you won't need it for most games. After you learn the basics, I recommend just jumping in with Unity and start messing around with their video tutorials. If you can find some like-minded programming buddies that might help you keep motivated.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement

I learned some nice things with The Nature of Code. It may not be suited for you if you never done any programming at all. I'd say it's less geared towards learning programming itself, and more geared towards implementing actual concepts that are useful for making games, such as vector math, physics, cellular automata, and more.

So I guess it tackles your second question, as it gives you an overview of the topics you may need to learn down the road, and it teaches you some of the math fundamentals.

If you're a complete beginner and this book is a step ahead of you, I think it's still worth keeping in your library for later on.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement