Advertisement

Learning Game Programming

Started by March 17, 2018 09:16 PM
2 comments, last by Eck 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello All!

I am currently pursuing a degree in video game programming, so far I have completed an intro to programming course and object oriented programming course. Both were taught using C++ as the programming langauge which I know is very popular for game development, but in these classes we do not actually do any game development. I would like to start to build my skills with C++ for game development as that is a common required thing for a job and am looking for ways to do this. Any recommendations such as books to read or youtube videos to watch will be greatly appreciated!

I'd say start programming!

Programming is a skill, and the best tutor for skill is experience.

If you want to do 3D stuff, Unreal is the obvious choice here. The disadvantage of 3D stuff however, is that it comes with 3D math. If you know that, it's not so difficult, but if not, 3d math can be a serious distraction to actual programming.

The other option is to start with 2D stuff. It eliminates 3D math from the equation, and allows you to concentrate on making the game, not to mention building experience with how to program anything non-trivial in C++ (and "non-trivial" starts much earlier than you may think!).

Below I linked to an article to get you started.

Enjoy the journey that lies ahead :)

Advertisement

Since you're learning C++, Unreal might be a cool starting point for you. Or if you want to branch out and learn some C#, then Unity has some awesome tutorials.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement