Advertisement

Game crashes on startup

Started by March 25, 2018 05:24 PM
3 comments, last by Felis Nigripes 6 years, 5 months ago

Hello!

I've been having issues with my game. It crashes on startup and shows me the crash handler menu (the splash screen with the exclamation mark), which disappears after a few seconds.

It must have something to do with a specific game object. Whenever I activate it or a child of it, it crashes. It only works once I completely deactivate it.

I realize unity changed some of its mechanics (I think you can't build a game with certain errors anymore), but this is just utterly confusing. I'll post screenshots if you want.

I'd be thankful for some enlightenment.

Yeah, that's not enough to go on. You'll need to provide more information, and/or debug things more.

Some things to check would be to be certain the game objects you're trying to interact with are not null.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement

This is the gameobject I "have to" deactivate for the game to work:

5ab7e039a1cd6_Screenshot(219).png.52e5d12701f05f0722b506e6d9c53fbd.png

Whenever I activate it or any child the crash occurs.

It never used to be the case. Previous versions handled all my stuff perfectly well.

It doesn't give me an error message. There has to be something that I missed.

Concerning null reference: One thing that occured is that I didn't assign all variables for the NPC ambient speech. The script tells the animator to play the sound when the animation is triggered. If you think that is the problem, I'll try to fix it and see how it goes.

But why would that be? Unity never used to act that way. Did I miss something in the recent release notes?

Took your advice and removed two null reference errors. It works now, thanks (:

Follow-up question: Since when does unity care about these errors? If they changed the settings, I would like to change them back. All I want is quickly throw out a game file for testing purposes every now and then, without a crash. And the splash screen doesn't tell you anything. Or is it maybe a technical issue?

Edit: Actually, scratch that. It did work when I activated multiple children, but crashes when I activate others, not like before when it didn't matter.

At least it's a change. Maybe now I can hone in on what might cause the error.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement