🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

phantaminum's tunes (new track every Friday!)

Started by
16 comments, last by phantaminum 5 years, 10 months ago

Hello again everyone!

Going to be posting a new track every Friday, so stay tuned for tomorrow..

In the meantime, here's last Friday's track: 

Advertisement

Here is this Friday's track (horror theme this week):

Let me know what you guys think!

I think this is a fun idea! Thanks for sharing your tracks weekly! Others, please feel free to do so as well and give feedback and critiques. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

The Abandoned - for an ambient track that sets a tone, this works pretty well. It's more of an under current and less of a straight up horror cue. Sort of like when there's a spooky setting but nothing super bad has happened yet. It would be cool to hear the loop evolve a bit more over time. Right now, once you've heard 1-2 cycles, you've pretty much heard it all. Of course, this feedback is on the cue itself and without any context to an actual game so that could definitely factor. Also the mix itself is a bit soft and lacking low-end warmth. But maybe that's the needed texture. 

Ethereal - this is a better, more full mix. Some of the melodic choices are really interesting and I liked this track quite a bit. The only thing I could feel that would take this track to the next level is a contrary motion in your harmonic elements. Right now the melody and the harmonies all swell (partly due to the envelope) at the same time. 

Great stuff overall! 

Thanks!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you so much for the feedback, nsmadsen!

I'm starting to realize the intensity of attempting to make a track every week, the time restraints really got to me for "the abandoned", especially in the mix department. But no excuses. What always annoys me is how SoundCloud and other similar audio sharing websites change the audio, I have to get used to mixing for those areas as well as just in the DAW. 

I intend to revisit "the abandoned"; I would love to extend the piece itself another minute and a half at least!

As for Ethereal, I actually didn't notice how the melodies swell at the same time, nice catch! I think when I compose, I always tend to focus too much on similar sounding motifs and such, which ends up creating a lot of overly repetitive sequences. For future pieces, I'm going to attempt to, not necessarily create totally different sections, but certainly add some alternate parts. 

Again, the feedback is really much appreciated!

New track for Soundtrack Friday! 

An idea I've been sitting on for a while finally wrapped itself up, and it wrapped up rather quickly.. I guess that's just how these things go. I imagine this one taking place in some sort of castle, possibly creepy, possibly Castlevania. Who knows?

Let me know what you guys think!

New track for Friday, definitely a more serious sounding composition. I enjoy how the harmonies came out, though I may need to fill out more of the mix on this.

This was a fun one, I recorded an acoustic guitar in. My intentions for this one was to blend the "real" instruments with the synth work.

Stemming from an old piece I was working on, I stripped everything back and just left the piano. Thoughts?

Well, I technically released this yesterday but forgot to post here..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement