🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article code formatting broken

Started by
5 comments, last by Alberth 6 years, 1 month ago

After 2 years, I looked at my JPS article again, and noted the code layout is totally broken, all indenting is gone, also in the "page source" of the web page displayed by my browser. Since I used Python, where blocks are denoted by indenting, this makes the code unreadable.

The text also looks a bit weirdly formatted here and there, so more white-space may be missing. Last but not least, in the horizontal/vertical scan explanation, the reference to the ]B[ picture is missing, in my page source it is now "The <i><span style="font-weight:bold;"></i> picture is the same." in stead of "The <i>]B[</i> picture is the same." (I think it was).

Link to the article:

Note the ]B[ has brackets in the wrong way, but the editor doesn't allow it written as it should be, it modifies it to bold text :(

Advertisement

I'll take a look over the weekend and see if I can get that fixed up. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks!!

I might still have the code, but it's sad to see this kind of things happening. I don't know when this happened, but likely my article isn't the only one hit.

Apparently the formatting isn't very robust against changes that are being done to the articles. As a suggestion, perhaps find some better format, consider that to be unmodifiable source, and generate web-pages from it?

Even if the formatting gets messed up, you'd still have the source, so you can fix the generator, and re-generate a fixed version.

This happened in the last major upgrade. Without getting into too much detail, basically the articles and other content have gone through several major revisions over the lifetime of GameDev.net where depending on the time period the formatting may have made certain assumptions different than the previous formatting. (there's a mix of bbcode, html, and other formatting conventions) It won't happen again in future revs, at least as long as I'm around.

So some articles are a bit hosed because I didn't know that this was the case during the last rev. I made the assumption that each rev of the site had properly transformed the content to fit the standards of the new rev. My fault for making that assumption.

But these are the kinds of reports we need. Jason and I have been slowly going through the articles and fixing them as we can (I've tried to hit the more high traffic ones, for example). Not all articles are messed up, but there is plenty of content that isn't quite right. I know Jason will take a look at this one (this one really isn't that bad actually.. very easy to fix), but I'll also start digging into articles around the same time period to see if they're also affected.

The good news is I'm getting pretty good at quickly formatting articles. :)

Admin for GameDev.net.

Unfortunately because they have a range of different issues we can't really employ an automated fix to the whole archive.

There are a range of common problems in them though, so I've got a semi automated solution where many of them can be fixed relatively quickly once problems are identified.

In addition to fixing them up as I gradually work through, I'm making sure the corrected versions are submitted to Wayback Machine to ensure there's a correct version somewhere if anything goes wrong in future.

- Jason Astle-Adams

3 hours ago, khawk said:

Without getting into too much detail, basically the articles and other content have gone through several major revisions over the lifetime of GameDev.net where depending on the time period the formatting may have made certain assumptions different than the previous formatting.

I guessed as much, which I why I was thinking it might be useful to standardize on some well-defined format as 'original source', and always convert from that to whatever format the site needs today.

The downside is that either authors would need to write in that format, or a conversion tool from todays format would be needed. The latter would be necessary as well for all the existing articles.

Perhaps a better solution is to store the generated html page. When converting to a new format, rendering it would need to produce that html page again, so you have a check whether the conversion process is correct.

Finally, thanks for all your work. So much work goes on behind the scenes, we are not even aware of!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement