🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Blogs have been ruined and site becoming slow

Started by
18 comments, last by jbadams 5 years, 11 months ago
11 minutes ago, Alberth said:

Loading the front-page takes around 15 seconds here, before the browser (firefox at a desktop) shows anything from the site.

Wow, that does sound bad! For me (located in Australia, I regularly visit with both desktop and mobile), the page starts rendering almost immediately, but does take a few seconds for all content to be available.

I do see the behavior you're describing with full content loading and then hiding at least on mobile though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
On 6/9/2018 at 11:36 PM, Alberth said:

Loading the front-page takes around 15 seconds here, before the browser (firefox at a desktop) shows anything from the site. It usually continues to load more several seconds afterwards, probably stuff further down the page.

I noted it seems to load the full stories (or at least a large part) of the list 'recent <something>' at the front page, and then a script kicks in to show just the first 2 or so lines. That looks like a waste of bandwith!

The front page is query-heavy and relies on caching on the backend, but to help with load time I just pushed an update that removes the biggest offender (the Following tab). Following isn't being used much but accounts for 50% of the page load time, so if people like that feature then I'll have to figure out another way to handle it. I hope this makes the load time better for you.

As for loading full story data on the stream, it is indeed a waste, but it's inherent in the design of the framework GameDev.net runs on. I don't like it either, but I'll have to write a custom implementation for that part. I write custom stuff all the time to work around framework limitations, but in the grand scheme of things, since the extra bandwidth is pretty small and the amount of effort to implement a custom solution for the problem is pretty significant, it might be a little while before I address it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Page loading seems slow for me (on android using chrome) but the thing that is making it unusable is the massive lag when typing. it makes replying to posts unbearable. 

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

19 minutes ago, Monkan said:

Page loading seems slow for me (on android using chrome) but the thing that is making it unusable is the massive lag when typing. it makes replying to posts unbearable. 

Interesting. First time I've heard anyone having a problem with that. What's the device?

Admin for GameDev.net.

I actually had a problem like that two or three times, but I assumed it was an issue on my end. In my case I restarted my phone and it didn't happen again for weeks afterwards - and I mostly visit the site from mobile.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy S6, using Chrome if that's a useful data point at all.

- Jason Astle-Adams

19 minutes ago, jbadams said:

I actually had a problem like that two or three times, but I assumed it was an issue on my end.

Same here. I discovered it was because my chrome data saver was off.

Someone told me that turning data saver off would speedup things, because it wasted time compressing the websites, but the opposite happened; it made gamedev slower.

That's interesting, I wouldn't have expected that setting to effect our site given everything is served over https, I wonder if there might be something coming in over http still.

- Jason Astle-Adams

On 7/2/2018 at 12:31 AM, khawk said:

Interesting. First time I've heard anyone having a problem with that. What's the device?

it's a Samsung galaxy A5 but actually it seems fine today so it sounds the same as what @jbadams is describing. 

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

We are still looking in to this one, but it may take us some time to be able to resolve it.

As far as we can tell, it's not caused by the data saver setting that @Scouting Ninja mentioned, as we have actually been able to replicate the problem with that setting both on and off.

We'll let you guys know when we know more - please do let us know if you're experiencing the problem, as additional data points can be helpful in making sure we properly solve it. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement