🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[UE4] Realtime Deformation

Started by
2 comments, last by Merlinus 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm working on a project wherein deformation of spheres is a central concept. Players essentially have uniquely shaped spheres, which may very well change in shape over time.

I've done a bit of research into what UE4 has available. However I am curious if there are better tools, since what I've found seems like it would require extremely careful programming to accomplish suitably. Also I can't even verify what I have found as being able to accomplish what I need, because reasons. I will eventually be able to verify, but not this week - hopefully next week.

Btw the stuff I found is all the GeometryMode classes like: FGeomObject and its various methods and members like: VertexPool. I figure I could use these to painstakingly perform deformations.

Advertisement
31 minutes ago, coope said:

I'm working on a project wherein deformation of spheres is a central concept.

This should be easy if it is only deformation, that is if you only need to move vertices around.

If you also want to change the amount of vertices in a mesh, then it gets complicated. Not because of the engine but because of how meshes work. No matter what engine you use the problems will be the same.

Unity is easy for mesh deformation at runtime, much easier than unreal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement