🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Managing a game's community online

Started by
3 comments, last by khawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Would it be possible to use gamedev to manage my public game project?

I am looking to build an opensource game, and I really like the community here.

I would much rather use a feature in these forums than opening a slack for my project (because I like the community here).

Ideally it would be a place for brainstorming and getting members (gamedev.net members) to contribute to the project (if they want to).

Does this functionality already exist here?

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Advertisement

Could you describe a little more how you might want that to work?

Admin for GameDev.net.

I recently developed a hobby game with a remote team of ~10 people (with ~20 people signing up for the project, but not all of them getting around to work on it.).

To do this, I recruited the people from around the net and used a free Slack server.

The downside was that these people were strangers, and it took me a long time to get to know them. To understand who is serious hobbyist, who is just good at talking, and who is an actual gamedev pro which was working on the project just for laughs.

I would love to have the functionality to have my team discuss/develop a project openly. Perhaps through a dedicated thread, or even a sub forum.

The reason I see this as better than slack/facebook/discord is that people identities on this forum are identified. They have reputations. You can see what they've done. There are some "Advice Gurus" on this site who I would love to involve in my gamedev, even if it's just a brief comment about an art asset, or advice on a programming method.

For example: I'm now starting development of a new hobby game, and I'd love to hold an open brainstorm (also as a means of recruiting people). And as I could go through the usual social route, I would much rather do it in the context of this site. The hobby classifieds are a godsend, but they are not good for public conversations. 

To be clear, I am not looking for instant messaging functionality. My hobby projects are much slower than that. Usually lucky if people work on them 2 days a week. I'm looking for something more like a day to day forum thread.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Thanks for sharing.

I have some ideas on this. I'll PM you.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement