🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SDL Game Engine Development (C++)

Started by
11 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 11 months ago

The code will change. Unless I'm wrong and I can use a version of SDL from 2010 or later to make a game for 2018? In that strange case I do have a book that I bought that teaches SDL from that time and I haven't read it because it's so out of date.

Advertisement
26 minutes ago, AndrewParker said:

The code will change. Unless I'm wrong and I can use a version of SDL from 2010 or later to make a game for 2018? In that strange case I do have a book that I bought that teaches SDL from that time and I haven't read it because it's so out of date.

It doesn't matter if code changes or not because as long as you understand the concepts behind what the code is doing and why you're using those parts of the library to do A, B, and C, it becomes all transferable.

I don't recommend using an older version of SDL or an older book because you're starting out, but if you have to use an older book use the most recent version of SDL2 possible and when you're reading the book your goal is to understand the programming concepts, and anytime they say use (x) to create a texture and sprite, go online and see how to do it using SDL2 via reference, while you continue to learn concepts within the book itself.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement