🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bits & Pieces Music

Started by
63 comments, last by BitsNPiecesMusic 4 years, 8 months ago

Happy Thursday!

As mentioned a few posts ago, I said I'd upload and share some of my other genres of music. This is a rough cut of "Defend Your Honor." I'm using the same program as with my other music, and this one was created quite some time ago, and I've nobody to blame but myself for not going back to it sooner to work on it some more. 

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Good morning! So, three things:

1.) During my last upload, I told you about the "crackling." It was in fact an issue with my video program on my computer, so I'll be tweaking it a bit to make sure it doesn't happen in the future, and will be fixing the last video so the sound quality is much better.

2.) Here is another track, which is part of an 8-bit project where I'm trying to challenge myself to only use sounds from the NES-style era: 

3.) I am in the process of working on some other tracks that are well outside of my comfort zone! :) One will be mostly pianos, and the other is a rock tune with electric guitars and all that jazz. I'll share them when they're finished!

Thank you and have an awesome weekend!

Hey,

as a little return and of course interest, I listened to all your shared soundtracks. I have to say this isn't really the kind of music I like listening to all the time, I never was a big fan of 8-Bit sounds. But, in general, I still really liked listening to your soundtracks, I really like your style when it comes to the melodies. I like the achords you are using, they remind me on my own works. :P

But since you already got lots of feedback about your previous uploads, I will rate this one more in details.

Again, I really like the melody. It's dramatic, but uplifting at the same time and could be part of the older series of the Zelda games, for example. But in general I couldn't say to what kind of game type it fits the best, I could imagine it would match up quite a lot of genres, which is really good!

In regards of our other conversation, I guess I would really enjoy your content, if you were able to try out the orchestra scene. I could imagine some really epic melodies coming from you. There are many instruments that can be used and are part of usual, bigger orchestra.

Just one negative point I have to speak out. You should try to use more variation. In other words, you should use more side-parts. Parts that are not that intense. The track's melody is awesome, but you are quickly fed up, if it plays during the entire soundtracks. Within those side parts, you could change the melody a little bit, use other instruments or use other notes, maybe only long ones, or short ones. I can hear at some of the parts, the soundtrack decreases the number of used instrument, but the main melody is still the same.

But now in general, keep up your work! :)

Thank you, @VociferousMusic! I truly appreciate the feedback and have been learning a good amount more recently! :)

Here is just a demo of something I've been working on. I did mention a few posts ago that I would attempt something a bit out of my comfort zone. This is a piano piece (with some strings and other instruments) that I'm currently working on. 

I will admit that I dislike the "happier" notes towards the end, since it contrasts the rest of the track, but being that it's a work in progress, I can always fix that. I also need to adjust the reverb on the strings, but I do feel they help set the mood. You'll notice the intro piano is actually just a lower octave of "The Forgotten Legend Main Theme." This is on purpose. I'm ideally trying to tie parts of the theme into different sections of the soundtrack. 

I'm also torn between expanding on this more, or keeping it a simple, smaller loop, as it would more or less take play during a few key sequences in an RPG. I appreciate your feedback!

I definitely can see this being used for a RPG game. I like the dark theme and the scary touch of it.

I actually don't mind the happy part at the end. I also tend to mix up moll and dur quite often and doesn't sound too bad, if the segue is good, which I honestly think, could be done better. But I have to admit, mood swings are not that easy and require much of patience and time.

This also is more familiar to what I usually listen to, therefore I enjoyed listening to this quite much! :)

Here's another one I did. This is more back into the video game genre, but there is an electric guitar I incorporated into it. Heavily influenced by the old Blue Bomber from the 90's SNES era. 

This is actually the first track on Loch SNES Monster.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, nsmadsen said:

Space Pilot's Finesse - The intro is a bit long but that's personal preference. Sometimes it's nice to build up a groove/mood before bringing in more melodic content. At 1:25, since we're hearing the melody a second time, a nice snare back beat would really help add a bit more to this section. A very neat track that would work great in a space shooter. 

Nate

@nsmadsen - I took your feedback and attempted a snare back beat. Let me know what you think (and everyone else, too!). 

I think it sounds pretty good, but I've noticed the wailing synth seems to lose some of its power in the drums. I may have to adjust the volume a tad. 

Thanks for listening!

Good morning!

I've got another track ready! This one is another that's much different than my normal video game-themed tracks. It's all rock music!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, considering it's only the 2nd track of this genre that I've tried making. Feedback is always welcome, and don't sweat it if it isn't your style! :)

Happy Sunday, folks! Hope you're all having a good weekend thus far. Here's another track, called Braving the New World. It initially did not have a drum loop. I added and I think it fits in nicely. I may need to tweak some of the gains a bit. 

Thanks for listening and for your feedback! :)

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been as active in here this week. Work got a little hectic, and I haven't had as much time to work on my music as I wanted to. That'll be this weekend for sure, though! Got a few I'm working on that are different from what I'm accustomed to. Anyway, I thought I'd share with all of you my very first track I made using the Rytmik software. It was only using 8-bit samples.

I'm going to be putting it on an album where, as mentioned in an earlier post, the challenge is to only use 8-bit samples. No strings, no electric guitar samples, etc. Looking back and listening to this now, I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out for creating something using a (then) new program at the time. 

Feedback is of course welcome! I hope you all have a great weekend! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement