🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cheap sources (and tips!) for these paddy sounds??

Started by
2 comments, last by ulrichburke 5 years, 11 months ago

Dear Everyone.

Well, first post and this is the question I'm hoping someone will answer.  Please note I'm a 'noob' to PC Music Making so don't be too pedantic about my terminology use - when I say 'pad' I mean 'the background synthy sounds' behind whatever the lead sound is.  The aural wallpaper they're hanging the lead tune on.  I've got lead instruments, it's just all the (admittedly freebie cos I don't know what to buy and can't afford much money ATM) background sounds I need help finding/making.  

I know what ADSR is, what LFOs are, what Reverb etc. is (I've got Ambience and MDE-X (the one that comes with the Korg M1 Emulator) Reverbs at present) and of course the MDE-X does a ton of other things too. For compression, if needed, I've got Blockfish. (And there's a compressor on  the MDE-X too.) I've also got 5orcery compressor (yes, that's how it's spelled) which is a 5 band compressor.  VSTs, I've got Dexed (prob. with THAT is too many presets, it's got thousands literally and I reckon I've got most of them but it's like looking for needles in haystacks so if anyone knows the names of presets that'll work with it and do these kinda sounds just tell me their names and I'll have 'em somewhere!) Wavestation, Korg M1 (both VST emulators) Synth1 (does the sounds but always sounds cheap and tinny, dunno why) Irish Acts Infinity, P8 Wavestation (don't begin to understand that one, so please name a preset if it's got one!) and lots of other freebies.  OK, here's the links.  

Ansiedad, Medwyn Goodall.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwcWUlHYsw&t=22s         The background chords, not the lead fake pan-pipe! 

Yellow Brick Cinema.  OK, bit different this, arguably they're creating the entire piece with 'pads' (soft synth sounds). I know they're using tons of reverb. etc., it's just how would you do/get/obtain(!)  the basic sounds BEFORE adding the effects?   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnyMBkfTFpI

Last one.  Karunesh.  You'll hear it right at the beginning - as with all the links, I know you lot are busy - it's everything behind the twangy thingy playing the tune.  If you listen beyond the first 20 seconds you'll hear more of them, the entire backing's made up of them and I've no idea where/how to do any of them.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgbOKm-GON0&t=38s

These composers all use such similar sounds I'm sure they're readily available SOMEWHERE even if only as soundfonts (can handle soundfonts, they're great one-shots, use them all the time..... whyfor is everyone cringing and snickering!?!?!?!)

Yours frustratedly and hopefully,

Chris.  (Who KNOWS they're all in Omnisphere, but can't afford anywhere NEAR that right now - even if slightly inferior, cheapo is deffo better.)

Advertisement

I respectfully doubt that anyone is going to give you names of presets. You have GOT to take the time to comb through your own libraries and organize the factory patches into user patches that you can locate and tweak quickly.

12 hours ago, ulrichburke said:

I know what ADSR is, what LFOs are, what Reverb etc.

Good. Now learn how to use it to create the sounds you want from patches that are already in the ballpark. One quick piece of advice I'll give you is that 80% of your tone and textures will come from a working knowledge of the oscillator and filter sections of your subtractive synths. Spend time learning how to control these and you'll have taken the first step toward achieving the tools to create sounds instead of being at the mercy of whatever the manufacturer put in the box.

This is my placeholder signature

So you'd use a subtractive synth for them? Dexed's a FM synth. I know what the difference is, a subtractive synth chops away at a basic sound till you get what you want but an FM synth layers oscillators till you get what you ant.  What I don't know is when to use which type.  But you're definitely saying those sounds are created by a subtractive, not an FM synth?

Yours respectfully

Chris.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement