🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Arigato

Started by
10 comments, last by Kalero 5 years, 9 months ago

What's up everybody. The last time I posted here I got some very valuable feedback on a track. I also said I would come back when I had made something significantly better. This is it. 

Im still new to this (less than a year) and appreciate any listens or comments.

Peace 

Advertisement

Some fun elements here! It has a nice retro feel and vibe to it. I do wish there was a bit more dynamic variety between sections. For example, right now it feels like the bass part is playing in the same manner regardless if it's the full ensemble or just a piano soloing. Whereas a real bassist would probably change their attack and their patterns a bit more for the full(er) more complex sections. 

I liked some of the harmonic choices you made! The brass parts could stand to have a lot more automation on them to help those swells and hits really have more impact. Keep it up! Nice stuff!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Now that you say it, it all makes more sense especially with dynamics and stuff. Thanks for the great insight as usual. 

You're welcome!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Delightfully Japanese, I love the overall vibe, reminds me of the Katamari games. If I could change anything about it I would probably add a more punchy drum section and speed it up just a tad. I'm not on my reference monitors right now so I can't really comment on the mixing, but on my laptop speakers (which many people still use to play games with, even if it's not the best experience) it is solid!

Electronic Music Producer, Composer & Audio Engineer

Free Commercial Use Music Downloads - My Story 

Wow thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future.

I actually wasn't familiar with the Katamari franchise. I'll have to check it out.

Very cool! In my opinion, some vibrato on the lead synths could really add some life to them.

Thanks for listening! Yea I could hear that now especially at the tail end of some notes. Good idea I'll remember that.

Nice tune! Did you quantize your midi notes? It sometimes feels like some elements are off the grid. Also, I would suggest lowering the bass volume; it's far too present. And the bass sound... if you're going for something without dynamics, I wouldn't use a sound library that sounds like an electric bass; maybe something more 303, moogish... dunno, anything sinthy.

Love the lead synth, fits the style perfectly.

Musician • Producer • Teacher

www.alexcalero.com

hello@alexcalero.com

Hey thanks for checking it out. As far as quantizing, I did not. I usually leave stuff like that off on purpose. Maybe I over did it haha. The bass is a little loud. It's a bad habit I've picked up. As far as the bass choice and dynamics, I've never thought of it like that it's a good point. I can't remember what I used I'll have to go back and see.

I really do appreciate all the insight it makes my learning curve a little easier haha. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement