🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sinister Duel (Feedback on a piece)

Started by
7 comments, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 9 months ago

I appreciate any feedback! I worked pretty hard on this piece, although I had a bit of trouble finding the right amount of reverb for the percussion. Enjoy!

Advertisement

Oh my! Its awsome it seems to full of energy and kinds pumps me. Great work man keep up the good work. Following your work on soundcloud now.

Very cool piece. I liked the switch-off of melodies for the different instruments.

For some tips, you might want to watch your low-end (or lack of it). There isn't really a single instrument besides the timpani providing low end support, so I might add a double bass or pizz. strings to boost that end.

Also, the lead melody needs to stand out more among the other instruments. You can either increase the volume or add more reverb to the melody.

Great job, Lyrical!

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

2 hours ago, Alec Weesner said:

Very cool piece. I liked the switch-off of melodies for the different instruments.

For some tips, you might want to watch your low-end (or lack of it). There isn't really a single instrument besides the timpani providing low end support, so I might add a double bass or pizz. strings to boost that end.

Also, the lead melody needs to stand out more among the other instruments. You can either increase the volume or add more reverb to the melody.

Great job, Lyrical!

There are actually two/three instruments in the bass (timpani, bass drum, and low brass sometimes), I just didn't want them overwhelming the rest of the piece. You have a good point about the low end, because I did turn it down significantly, however pizz strings would not cut through. I think some kind of double bass section (like you recommended) with bass trombone or cello would work well for the parts where it is more sparse.

Which part are you referring to with the lead melody?

Thanks for the advice!

Most the instruments you use as melody need a little bit of the boost, but especially the flute at 0:13 is too quiet.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

The nylon guitar at the start is waaaay loud IMO. I think the biggest thing for me though, is the strings don't sound very realistic. I think they're supposed to be spiccato, but they have a very odd kind of attack.

This is a very good track! I would love that nylon guitar and that flute to be real instruments tho ^^

As with other tracks I've listened around here, maybe you should crunch a little bit your dynamic range. Imho, it gets far too quiet towards the end, and maybe from a mixing-for-videogames perspective (imagine this music over different sound effects) it would benefit from a more compressed master.

Great job anyways ^^

Also: maybe it's my shitty headphones (I'll listen to it later in my studio) but I feel like there's maybe too much information in the 300-500hz band? Could be my listening setup, dunno.

Musician • Producer • Teacher

www.alexcalero.com

hello@alexcalero.com

I agree with many of the comments already posted. There's a wide gap between your soloist/lead instruments (mainly the flute and the guitar) and the rest of the ensemble. Also there's a lack of clarity in the rest of the ensemble. Things feel too washed out due to too much reverb. Have you considered side-chaining the lower/heavier percussion hits to the rest of the ensemble? I've found that really helps give some more space for those impacts to happen then less the rest of the ensemble fill back in the sonic spectrum. 

Some nice writing! 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement