Advertisement

Whats the Best Software for Game Development

Started by September 27, 2018 10:44 AM
7 comments, last by yawmoo 5 years, 11 months ago

Hello,

I am working as a head Web Developer in a company, now i jut want to learn Mobile Game Development so can anyone of you recommend me which of the software is good for game Development. Currently I just Install Unity 3D. If there any any other best then that please recommend me and also about the tutorial of that.

Thanks.

It depends but most people nowadays start with Unity 3D, with Unreal Engine come next in the row I guess.

http://9tawan.net/en/

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Shawn_Developer said:

Currently I just Install Unity 3D.

First come first serve, Unity3D it is. You're head web developer, so you definitely know programming. You can start off with Unity's tutorial and API reference and you'll be doing just fine.

Unity is a good start.  So long as you can code a bit of C# then you have the technical side covered, including a means of creating and editing levels - something we traditionally had to make ourselves.

It becomes more challenging when you get into the art and music side of things.  Creating assets for your game is a profession in itself, but depending on what you want, then MSPaint, GiMP and Blender will have you covered for art and animation( on a shoe-string budget ).  I'm certainly not a musician or sound technician but I hear Audiacity is quite good.

That said, if you can farm out the asset creation work to some artists on your team, you could just focus on the Unity side.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Gamedev now is not the same, that 10-20 years ago. Modern resource and graphics pipelines are very complex. And Engine Programmer not the same to Gameplay and not the same to Graphics programmers.

Unity is good start in general. But after you mast go depper in gameplay or resources/graphics stuff.

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

I think the best software for game dev is Visual Studio hands down.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

Unity is great. I use it for commercial games. For make a demo I recommend GameMaker or Pico-8They are very light weight. 

GameMaker you can use it without too much code.

Pico-8 you can use it enjoy create retro 2d games.

And for unity resources I recommend these boys. I learn many from them.

BrackeyBlackthornprodSebastian Lague

I think I enjoy making game

Hi, as a web developer, you could also look for one of the Javascript and HTML5 game frameworks.

For small games, HTML5/Javascript is really surprisingly fast nowadays.

A friend of mine who is a veteran game developer recommends Pixi JS. I have never tried it personally but it looks very impressive.

I personally use Game Maker but I am not sure I would recommend it to you due to its peculiar programming language. However, if you are willing to learn a custom programming language that you probably won't use anywhere else, one good side of Game Maker is that it lets you write nice 2D games without having to learn a huge amount of things. In a way, it's the best engine I found that lets you code games how they were developed 30 years ago and that is a very good thing to get started in my opinion.

You can move to Unity or even to c/c++ later when you are more experienced.

Oh, I was forgetting... if you wanted to learn how to make c/c++ games one great resource is handmade hero. Look it up on youtube ?

Good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement