Advertisement

I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing (advice for a beginner)

Started by October 14, 2018 11:34 AM
6 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 10 months ago

Hi, hope you are having a great day :)

I am interested in creating a game, one that is 8-bit probably. It would consist of 3 main elements:

1.) Challenges where the player has to run along a 2D obstacle course, sort of Mario-like

2.) Little story scenes in between, where there’s just a background and pictures of the characters, talking in the form of text boxes

3.) A player home base, like a camp where the creatures/monsters the player collects during challenges are walking around in random directions, and maybe the player can click on them to read about their backgrounds

I have almost no experience, apart from a little programming in python. I loved this kind of thing until I did computer science GCSE, at which point I had a horrible experience (like, nightmare level bad), not because of the subject but because of a teacher who was swiftly fired as soon as the school found out how badly she was treating us. I don’t want that experience to hold me back from something I did once love, though. 

I was hoping people could give me some tips for getting started, and any advice regarding what programmes would be good to look into? Any help is appreciated, I am hoping to make developing this game a hobby, working on it a little everyday to improve my coding skills

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

(edit: forgot to mention, I’m decent at art, so can design everything myself, just need tips on what to use to do that)

Welcome! You have a few options.

You can either build on your Python with PyGame: https://www.pygame.org/news 

You can look into GameMaker Studio 2 which has drag and drop, but slowly get into their scripting language which is c styled 'GML': https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

Beyond that, there is always C# and Unity if you're up to it. :) I would suggest PyGame or GameMaker Studio 2 using GML. Once you get some 2D games done, look into Unity if you want to jump into 3D.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Hey, I am looking for someone to make a couple of simple games as a way of learning the essential skills for game dev. I am mainly a programmer, though not very experienced I can get things done even if not in the ideal way most of the time. My art skills aren't so great but I do have great interest in it. If you are up to it we could try to help each other while we attempt to build a game or two. Let me know if you are up to trying it out :) I am currently working with Unity and c# and as someone who tried to do it all myself for quite some time I can't recomment enough that you start with a game engine to learn how the experts solved countless problems that one come across when developing a game.

2 hours ago, Rafael Coelho said:

Hey, I am looking for someone to make a couple of simple games as a way of learning the essential skills for game dev. I am mainly a programmer, though not very experienced I can get things done even if not in the ideal way most of the time. My art skills aren't so great but I do have great interest in it. If you are up to it we could try to help each other while we attempt to build a game or two. Let me know if you are up to trying it out :) I am currently working with Unity and c# and as someone who tried to do it all myself for quite some time I can't recomment enough that you start with a game engine to learn how the experts solved countless problems that one come across when developing a game.

Check out the Hobby forum, maybe make a post there looking for a team. :) https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/29-hobby-project-classifieds/

Also, there is a GameDev challenge group which might interest you. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

17 hours ago, Rutin said:

Check out the Hobby forum, maybe make a post there looking for a team. :) https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/29-hobby-project-classifieds/

Also, there is a GameDev challenge group which might interest you. :) 

I see.Thanks for the tip Rutin. Will do!

8-bit like in Nintendo or Atari? Why not 64 bit? Everyone will soon use 64 bits

Advertisement
1 hour ago, szigeti_roland said:

8-bit like in Nintendo or Atari? Why not 64 bit? Everyone will soon use 64 bits

The 8-bit part would refer in this case to the chosen style of game from that era. ;) Not actually making the game for an 8 bit system. Unless I'm mistaken. :D

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement