Advertisement

My friend needs help with format.

Started by December 03, 2018 03:08 PM
6 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 9 months ago

So, a friend of mine wants to make a game with RPG Maker, and he doesn't know what the format needs to be for graphics. Could anyone tell me what it is so that I can tell him?

-CBI

25 minutes ago, Creepa-Bot Inc. said:

So, a friend of mine wants to make a game with RPG Maker, and he doesn't know what the format needs to be for graphics. Could anyone tell me what it is so that I can tell him?

I believe PNG would be the supported image format for RPG Maker.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Ah, thank you!

-CBI

1 hour ago, Rutin said:

PNG would be the supported image format for RPG Maker.

I can confirm this is correct! 

If your friend wanted to use jpg for example he'd need to rename them like ".jpg.png" so the engine thinks they're pngs.

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

2 hours ago, CyberFlash said:

If your friend wanted to use jpg for example he'd need to rename them like ".jpg.png" so the engine thinks they're pngs.

The two formats are not at all alike.  So RPG Maker likely supports jpeg.  It would also be easier to just convert from jpeg to png if it doesn't support it, instead of having very strange and confusing extensions like .jpg.png...  

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

2 minutes ago, CrazyCdn said:

So RPG Maker likely supports jpeg.

Well at least the UI for RPG Maker MV will not recognize a JPG as an option, I know that after you export and lets say play via browser, all the techno conversion stuff happens and you'll see images but not whilst using the editor. I'm not suggesting to go with jpg.png but IF someone specifically didn't want to use png and wanted to use jpg, you can use that trick. It works.

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Advertisement

The engine behind RPG maker does not support JPGs, but once exported it runs in a browser. ;)  So, if you want to use .jpg files, you need to name them .jpg.png...  See link for details.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/only-supports-png-files.47333/

I agree though, conversion would be much cleaner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement