🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need advice for a female Native American character I'm creating

Started by
42 comments, last by Joseph Al-Tal 5 years, 4 months ago

I'd say it depends on the vision of the game.Is it down-to-earth and realistic? Then a walking stereotype is probably ill-fitted. Is the game lighthearted and unambiguously conveying that it shouldn't be taken too seriously? Stereotype all you want.

Advertisement

Okay thanks. Just one more tip of advice I'd like on the black drunken master I'm making. If I were to make two versions of him, one being his fat version and one being his more slim fit version, would that ruin the entire purpose of the character? Thanks.

And if I also added a MMA male type figther who is a big mean tough guy and similar to the body type of Broc Lesnar or the Rock would that seem stereotypical? Or maybe a more average slim built guy who's more like Connor Mcgreggor body type or something similar?

I think you may gain bonus points if she isn't just "native-american" but has a backstory and perhaps other elements from a specific Native-American tribe. More points would be gained if her tribe isn't well-known and doesn't have a strong reputation for fighting. Note that Native-Americans from different regions often look very different from each other. Inuit tribes seem to come from a completely different migration than tribes that lived to the south.

On the other hand, if you want her to come from a more violent tribe, you might want to look up the Mapuche. They are some real badasses, especially Galvarino, "Cut my hands off? No problem, I'll just tie knives to the stumps."

4 minutes ago, RidiculousName said:

I think you may gain bonus points if she isn't just "native-american" but has a backstory and perhaps other elements from a specific Native-American tribe. More points would be gained if her tribe isn't well-known and doesn't have a strong reputation for fighting. Note that Native-Americans from different regions often look very different from each other. Inuit tribes seem to come from a completely different migration than tribes that lived to the south.

On the other hand, if you want her to come from a more violent tribe, you might want to look up the Mapuche. They are some real badasses, especially Galvarino, "Cut my hands off? No problem, I'll just tie knives to the stumps."

That could be interesting. I like the violent tribe idea that she probably wasn't aware of that she descended from. Could explain her special powers or enhanced super like human abilities I want to give her? Would it seem reasonable if I gave her melee weapons? Or would that be offensive since Native Americans are known for using melee weapon attacks?

I think only the most triggered little snowflake would complain over melee weapons in a fighting game. Still, I would advise making sure she's not the only one with a melee weapon.

If you are gonna put on a show that uses cultural symbols(totems), then you should really really research that and talk to those who you might be in a position to offend before hand.  Totems are highly specific to specific tribes and even families within tribes, tread carefully.  If you are gonna do it, do it right and go to the source.  Otherwise I suggest staying fairly culturally neutral where symbols and dress are concerned.

1 hour ago, Septopus said:

If you are gonna put on a show that uses cultural symbols(totems), then you should really really research that and talk to those who you might be in a position to offend before hand.  Totems are highly specific to specific tribes and even families within tribes, tread carefully.  If you are gonna do it, do it right and go to the source.  Otherwise I suggest staying fairly culturally neutral where symbols and dress are concerned.

Therein lies the problem. Too generic and it's stereotypical. Too specific and you need an expert.

Generic doesn't have to mean stereotype though.  Just don't dress her up in a buckskin tassled princess outfit/etc..  S'all I'm trying to say. ;)

In terms of storytelling, don't make her a "female Native American character".  This is the mistake everyone makes today, preaching too the audience and focusing on the very details they are preaching are not relevant.

Gene Roddenberry does a great job of showing the way with Lt. Uhura.  She is the first watch bridge communications officer, a Lt. in Star Fleet.  She is not black, she is not a woman.  She is not a black woman.  None of those things are ever mentioned, focused on, or even hinted at... thus creating the impression of "we truly are past that".

However you do it, don't make her character a "Native American woman, who is native American... and a woman".

"I wish that I could live it all again."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement