Advertisement

Is this game a 2d or a 3D game?

Started by September 05, 2019 09:37 PM
7 comments, last by Davindius 5 years ago

36A59544-784C-4D4E-B559-BE490AAAD5C2.thumb.png.07c2cb6e22fe59ec06e0f57b5ae3b027.pngI want to make a game like this but i don’t know if I should use a 2d engine or a 3D engine to make it in. Can anyone help me?

You use a 2d engine for that. 2d and 3d engines are distinguished by how they produce the image you see and not how it looks like. A 3d engine uses 3d objects that can be rendered from any perspective, which involves fancy mathematics ?. 2d engines "just" use "pictures". That does not mean that a 2d engine can't provide the illusion of a 3-dimensional space. Two good examples of a 2d engine with 3d optics that you should/might know are Diablo 1 and 2.

However, once you know a little bit about game programming, you could use a 3d engine to make a 2d game by just ignoring the third dimension, but I would advise against that. Makes things too complicated.

Greetings

Advertisement

Not a Game Design question. Moving to the appropriate forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2Dish game in a 3D engine.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

16 hours ago, DerTroll said:

You use a 2d engine for that. 2d and 3d engines are distinguished by how they produce the image you see and not how it looks like. A 3d engine uses 3d objects that can be rendered from any perspective, which involves fancy mathematics ?. 2d engines "just" use "pictures". That does not mean that a 2d engine can't provide the illusion of a 3-dimensional space. Two good examples of a 2d engine with 3d optics that you should/might know are Diablo 1 and 2.

However, once you know a little bit about game programming, you could use a 3d engine to make a 2d game by just ignoring the third dimension, but I would advise against that. Makes things too complicated.

Greetings

Thank you for this very useful information! do you recommend a 2d game engine for me to use? many thanks

I have no experience with popular game engines, since I am writing my own. So I can't recommend any. However, for 2d games, writing your own engine using OpenGL or DirectX is not too complicated. It doesn't involve too fancy mathematics and does't need to be super effective. You will also learn a lot of helpful basics. So maybe you could try that.

Greetings

Advertisement
15 hours ago, DerTroll said:

I have no experience with popular game engines, since I am writing my own. So I can't recommend any. However, for 2d games, writing your own engine using OpenGL or DirectX is not too complicated. It doesn't involve too fancy mathematics and does't need to be super effective. You will also learn a lot of helpful basics. So maybe you could try that.

Greetings

thanks!

You could try using Godot. It can do 2D as well as 3D, in case you change your mind. It supports scripting using a Python-like language called GDScript and C#--it even allows for native C++. I know Unity and Unreal also support 2D, but I am not familiar with them and don't know how easy they are to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement