🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bored.. Wanna make an mmo that's actually fun?

Started by
22 comments, last by Launcher111 4 years, 4 months ago

Pardon me, I should have clarified it better. I do intend to actually attend to make a game. I have send some personal messages to people who want to participate, and on those messages there is a discord link.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Alex Spear said:

I do intend to actually attend to make a game.

It sounds like from your first post that you want to manage others into making a game of your preference so you don't have to play all those other crappy games in existence. So far you're the idea guy without an idea. That's a new low if true.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Mr. Fleabay I have send you a private message, as well as have said that i would explain more when you join the discord. If you do not want to join and hear out what i have to say, then i cannot explain to you the ideas that i have.

1 hour ago, Alex Spear said:

Mr. Fleabay I have send you a private message, as well as have said that i would explain more when you join the discord. If you do not want to join and hear out what i have to say, then i cannot explain to you the ideas that i have.

Just tell us what it is you do. Do you model, animate, rig, level design, program? Anything?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

The title says, "Bored.. Wanna make an mmo that's actually fun?"... Then the first post says, "This thread is not about money opportunity or jobs, just about someone who is passionate about games and wants to discuss ideas.". It's conflicting so I can see why other would get confused. You just simply want to have a discussion about MMO design in general and not actually design one? However, talking about it is not going to change any opinions you mentioned in the first post. Can you provide examples of what publishers don't listen to their customer base and concerns in that regard? Not sure why that needs to go onto Discord, why not have the discussion here so others can freely state their opinions as well? Finally, I don't think it's something that's necessarily just to one genre either so that was part of the confusion as well.

[EDIT] - I don't believe this belongs in "Hobby Project Classifieds". I believe it should be moved to "GDNet Lounge" since it's more of an opinionated discussion over anything else.

My apologies for setting up such a confusing post in the first place. If anyone is wondering why i wanted a discord in the first place was for a better messaging system. I do not just want to talk about ideas for a game, but in fact design a game. It is a passion project and any one is welcome to participate. I have written all of the basic mechanics of the game i wish to achieve, there is a pdf file in this reply. These are just the basic mechanics, there is much more that i have in terms of an idea.

The bassic mechanics.pdf

I'm sort of in the same boat. Started learning the basics in unreal. I'd like to eventually make an MMO, but for now I'm content just getting a singleplayer version built so people can better understand the vision for the game. There's so much to learn. I spent the day diving into photogrammetry for asset generation. Decided it'd be worth it to pickup a tripod and lightbox... end up selling some assets once they are good enough. I can also do a bit with UIs and the ability system / damage system as well as building a float based stat system / camera / save and loading / landscapes / item databases / etc. And music (though I need way more practice lol) - the bush is just a practice bush from a leaf texture I took the other day.

I think most people cringe when someone says they want to make an MMO and laugh when someone says their first game is going to be an MMO. When done right they are a ton of fun to play and gives the designers a lot of freedom as well as longevity tied to the production that can be built upon over time.

practice01.thumb.png.c1c0710f41e71eeeb6ac6cd76ae19b21.pngpractice02.thumb.png.53997e62d4e5b270d4a58769e343e6cf.pngpractice03.thumb.png.7ffc1cb1d9c864bbc51d62a9928132fb.png

1 hour ago, WGS_Stillwater said:

I think most people cringe when someone says they want to make an MMO and laugh when someone says their first game is going to be an MMO. When done right they are a ton of fun to play and gives the designers a lot of freedom as well as longevity tied to the production that can be built upon over time

This is true, my first game was an MMO too "Gloria Victis" (you can check it on steam) - 3 years hobby project (no money) but a team of people that is eager to learn. It's important to pick something you be passioned to do it no matter how ambitious the project is. Overall if you finish the final product or not, you will learn a lot and improve your skills (so your time will not be wasted).

It's all about the journey! hahaha. 

"I think most people cringe when someone says they want to make an MMO and laugh" - that people are right they for sure can't do it.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, WGS_Stillwater said:

I'm sort of in the same boat. Started learning the basics in unreal. I'd like to eventually make an MMO, but for now I'm content just getting a singleplayer version built so people can better understand the vision for the game. There's so much to learn. I spent the day diving into photogrammetry for asset generation. Decided it'd be worth it to pickup a tripod and lightbox... end up selling some assets once they are good enough. I can also do a bit with UIs and the ability system / damage system as well as building a float based stat system / camera / save and loading / landscapes / item databases / etc. And music (though I need way more practice lol) - the bush is just a practice bush from a leaf texture I took the other day.

I think most people cringe when someone says they want to make an MMO and laugh when someone says their first game is going to be an MMO. When done right they are a ton of fun to play and gives the designers a lot of freedom as well as longevity tied to the production that can be built upon over time.

I have an even crazier situation. I am making a game which is my foremost primary project.

I would love to help other people start making fun low/no budget MMORPGs (which is an idea I heard for at least 20 times already).

But I have my own projects to work on.

Hope this gives some insight.

I think passion is honestly the only thing required besides hard work to make a game, because successful or not, if it's what was in your heart, then it's art when it's created.

You can count me in to help, I'm an author and marketing expert with work for Fortune 500 companies as well as small indie developers all in one. This sounds pretty cool, I love the idea of making a half decent MMO, because the formula is there...people just ignore it for whatever reason.

^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement