🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Possibility to revert gamedev.net to old design?

Started by
37 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Also, now it does that THING again where it wonøt let me post a new thread because "posts require both a title, channel, forum and content. Pretty sure I have that, don't I?

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

Advertisement

Embassy of Time said:
the screen partitioning is… confusing

Can you explain this one? Specifics causing confusion?

Embassy of Time said:
Everything locks and misbehaves, making the site literally unusable on anything but a traditional PC for me.

Also this one. Any specific activities locking?

Embassy of Time said:
Also, now it does that THING again where it wonøt let me post a new thread because

The fix for this is coming (silly bug, of course). I wasn't aware this was broken on forum pages, but it broke with the new editor switch this past week.

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:

Embassy of Time said:
the screen partitioning is… confusing

Can you explain this one? Specifics causing confusion?

An error in posting, plus, my backspace was not working in the text box.

I wanted to appoint that for example when I am on a thread reading posts, and back my browser, it does not throw me to thread pool, nor subforums pool, but nearly at the index - the latest posts. Bothering

JohnnyCode said:

I wanted to appoint that for example when I am on a thread reading posts, and back my browser, it does not throw me to thread pool, nor subforums pool, but nearly at the index - the latest posts. Bothering

Not sure I understand. Every forum topic has a link at the top that takes you to the forum the topic resides in. The tags are also available across the site for the same purpose.

But if you use the browser to go back, I thought standard behavior is to go back to where you clicked the topic/page currently being browsed. Is it expected behavior that back in the browser should go back up the page hierarchy instead?

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:

JohnnyCode said:

Not sure I understand. Every forum topic has a link at the top that takes you to the forum the topic resides in. The tags are also available across the site for the same purpose.

But if you use the browser to go back, I thought standard behavior is to go back to where you clicked the topic/page currently being browsed. Is it expected behavior that back in the browser should go back up the page hierarchy instead?

I click on the forums button. I land on "https://www.gamedev.net/forums/", on the “Latest” tab.

I click on “Categories”. I am still on "https://www.gamedev.net/forums/", but now on the “Categories" tab.

I click a post. I press back on my browser. I expected to go back to to “Categories”. Instead I am thrown back to the “Latest” tab, because it's the same page as far as my browser is concerned.

khawk said:
Not sure I understand. Every forum topic has a link at the top that takes you

That is a pretty incorrect solution since many users does not wish to deepen in their link history, for usability and comfort reasons (gamedev is visited shortly and mostly people wish to back up to where they have been just before).

a light breeze said:
I click on the forums button…

JohnnyCode said:
That is a pretty incorrect solution

I see. Makes sense.

Past feedback (prior to the new platform) has been that members were most interested in the latest topics with occasional forum/category browsing, so the current design is to allow for that. But perhaps the current navigation is too restrictive for regular forum browsing.

Would it make more sense then if instead of tabs the Latest and Categories were selected as a dropdown from the Forums side menu (and remove the tabs)?

Admin for GameDev.net.

M0N0_M4N said:

I would revert, the change seems unnecessarily painful (I still get weird errors with everything).

Details on these weird errors, including when these errors are seen, browser, etc. would do wonders to get them addressed.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement