Advertisement

Total noob asking about where/how to get simple game

Started by December 02, 2019 06:46 PM
8 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 9 months ago

Hi folks, I'm teaching audio engineering and sound design at a small college. I'm trying to find a source of some super simple games (even, like, old 1980s style, anything at all simple) with the whole point being able to have my students design sounds and implement them into the game.

Does anyone know of any source for basic, free, non-commercial games that I could get and learn how to integrate sounds into? Please remember that I'm a total noob at game design! Any help much appreciated!

This is not a Game Design question. Moving it elsewhere. Scott, can you clarify? You're looking for source code? And your students are going to change calls to audio to their own files? And you're going to provide the students a complete programming environment or game engine compatible with the source code, for both Windows and Mac? (Many of today's students have Macs.) Or maybe they can just substitute their own files into the asset base, fooling the code by using the filename(s) the code is looking for?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

You can basically use any game that has a directory with the media files in it. Just replace the sound files and you don't have to deal with any code.

That said, there are so many free games on the web I wouldn't know where to point you. I'm sure Google is able to help you here.

What about having students work with just a video of a game being played. Mute the original sound in the video and have the students dub in their own work.

You can take my simple game. Try to play: https://next.plnkr.co/edit/7gjdZi2GNHZvtHQEMc4Y?p=preview

It is a clone of Snake. I got the idea from the tutorial: https://noobtuts.com/python/snake-game

If you have questions how to change music and sounds. I can help you. Ask me.

Basically, any "open source game" will do I think, so search for that, together with a preferred language. You may want to stick with an interpreted language like Python, to avoid needing to have a compiler etc installed.

Advertisement

Basically, any "open source game" will do I think, so search for that, together with a preferred language. You may want to stick with an interpreted language like Python, to avoid needing to have a compiler etc installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement