Going from 3D file to game environment

Started by
7 comments, last by wallyadams 4 years, 6 months ago

Show stopper question.

I have developed several 3D drawings revolving about boat building. I'd like to assemble them in a single environment to allow the ‘viewer’ to walk through and examine various models.

Is a game engine a viable alternative or should I find a different approach? I know I can keep them as individual files, but I was thinking of a more seamless approach.

Any help, either for or against would be appreciated.

Thanx

Advertisement

You're correct. Next step is to import them into an engine with a scene editor. Fun times!

@VoxycDev Any engine suggestion? Does not have to be fancy.

The easiest approach is to download Unity or Unreal (if you're using Blueprints) and load the model in with an environment (most are provided as samples with the engine). Then you can use a camera to move around the scene. Much easier than developing a rendering engine from the ground up!

If you're mainly an artist then I would go with Unreal and Blueprints, otherwise you can use Unity but you'll have to code scripts unless you can download assets that do it all for you.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thats big topic on its own. There are tons of resources discussing pros and cons of each. I wrote my own so i cannot officially recommend anything ?.

knotian said:

I have developed several 3D drawings revolving about boat building. I'd like to assemble them in a single environment to allow the ‘viewer’ to walk through and examine various models.

Is a game engine a viable alternative or should I find a different approach? I know I can keep them as individual files, but I was thinking of a more seamless approach.

Google “unreal archviz”. If you're using CAD see if you can export as FBX. Unreal works great with FBX and Autocad (at least) supports it.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

You can use the free Babylon.js 3D Engine. Your 3D application will be available by one click.

Use left, right and middle mouse buttons: https://8observer8.github.io/babylonjs-ts/gates/

Playground with source code in TypeScript: https://next.plnkr.co/edit/WEMBjkkJJbHgVPVJ?preview

a game editor with user friendly interface is what i would suggest for beginners. i use the hammer editor for source since i'm working on a mod. it has like 5 buttons for everything you need, but no, there must be something else out there with dx11/12 support and super cool looking shaders. in any case, whichever one you choose, you have to dedicate some time to accomodate to its interface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement