🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Math and Physics book for a beginner

Started by
2 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 4 months ago

I want to make a game very much like Altos Odyssey (Snow boarder gliding down a slope, can jump etc).

I understand that there are game dev packages out there that take care of a lot of this stuff, but i want to understand the maths and physics behind it so i can build a very very basic game similar, and really want to understand the maths and physics behind it.

Im wondering if there are any books that cover both maths and physics for game dev, or separate one that you guys could recommend. Baring in mind im just starting, but im willing to learn from scratch, and put in the work.

Thanks

Jay

Advertisement

Hi Jay

You need to earn Linear Algebra, particularly vectors and plane geometry and trigonometry. Also transformations, and if you want to do 3D games, I would include Euler angles in that, in my humble experience.

In UK Advanced-level GCE stuff (16-18 years) should cover a lot of what you need. The Cambridge textbooks are v. good, I use those a lot.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Paul

• 2004 - 04 - Math and Physics for Game Programmers - Wendy Stahler - 504 pages: Amazon
  • 2011 - 06 - Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics - 3rd Edition - Eric Lengyel - 624 pages: Amazon Code: http://mathfor3dgameprogramming.com/
  • 2011 - 11 - 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development - F. Dunn, I. Parberry - 846 pages: Amazon
  • 2015 - 08 - Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications - 3rd Edition - James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop - 624 pages: Amazon Code: https://github.com/jvanverth/essentialmath
  • 2013 - 12 - Mathematics for Computer Graphics - 4th Edition - John Vince - 412 pages: Amazon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement