🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can I generate a formula?

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi!

If I know armor (variable) and ignored_armor (variable) how can I generate a formula that increas damage by ignoring X % armor. (smaller armor, the higher damage)

For example:

armor = 100

ignored_armor (15 %) = 15

damage = ?

Advertisement

You don't “generate”, you first think what do you want. 100 armor vs 200 armor, what happens?

100 armor with 0% ignored armor, with 50% ignored, with 100% ignored, what happens?

Play with various combinations, don't bother with formulas yet, get a feeling for whether something has a positive or a negative influence, and how much? are some things you have related? thing P makes damage grow, thing Q makes damage grow, what happens if you have both P and Q? just add them together, or should the combination have more or less impact?

Can you draw graphs?

Once you know what you want converting to formulas, is often simple add, subtract and multiply (at least at the start).

a+b, if b grows or a grows, the sum grows.

a-b, if a grows, the subtraction grows, if b grows, the subtraction decreases.

a*b if a grows, ab grows by a factor b faster (this is a straight line in a graph if either a or b are constant)

a*a if a grows, a*a grows quadratically.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement