🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity or Unreal for a strategy game like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, etc?

Started by
5 comments, last by Baldarov 4 years, 2 months ago

Greetings to all

I know that these games I mention use their own engine (Clausewitz Engine)

But currently I don't want to face the challenge of developing my own engine so ...

What option would be better considering that we are talking about games that revolve around a static central map with lots of math, texts and data sheets?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

Either will do, it mostly depends on whether you want to program it in C# (for Unity) or C++ (for Unreal).

Yeah, I know about that.

But I am asking if perhaps one of the two is more suitable for a project of this type, whether it be more flexible, easy, etc.

I don't know either engine, but given that they are generic game engines, I don't expect either of them geared towards your application in any way. That is, it is highly likely that whatever you choose, you must handle the math/texts/data sheets and integrate that in the game (games using such data are a fraction of all possible games, it would be weird if they added it by default).

Assuming both engines have some extension mechanism built-in, you may want to check extensions that provide some support for such data.

On the other hand, C# and c++ both being generic programming languages, I am sure you can find a zillion libraries for that stuff as well. Having an extension as part of the game engine isn't even needed in such a case.

In my opinion, Unity is more easy in general as for the fact that you don't have to bother with code for different platfors due to C# being an IL language that needs a runtime while Unreal and C++, depending on the libraries you want to use, may be more kind of a challenge if you intend to publish for multiple platforms.

A pro for Unreal is the fact that it supported Visual Scripting by default since Unreal Engine 4 released, while Unity is now adding this feature to but also has a lot (and I mean A LOT) of Asset Store extensions that also enable Visual Scripting in your games. But be aware of using dynamic code compilation because this isn't supported on all platforms (like iOS prohibits this for example).

Unity on the other hand is more easy to develop multiplatform games while Unreal is not very usefull to publish for iOS/Android.

Both are generic engines which were originally build for 3D and any type of game so you still have to work from scratch to get your desired game to life

Thank you all.
It is clear that Unity is a more suitable option in this case once we discard the possibility of developing its own motor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement