🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Build a 2D platformer playable in browser

Started by
1 comment, last by Brian Sandberg 1 year, 7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a 2D tile-based platformer where I can customize the following attributes (i.e. upload my own tilesheet):

• Player
  • Ennemies
  • Background & props
  • Coins & other collectible elements

I'd also want to integrate a feature to count the collected coins & a time tracker.

I want this game to be playable on a web-browser.

I can code in Python (and don't have much time to learn a new language) and I'd like to use free open-source tools as much as possible.

What solutions do you suggest? ?

Thanks a lot for your time, I am very new to this and I'd really appreciate your support (even if it's for telling me my requirements are too much!).

Advertisement

There's a large number of game engines out there, and they'll all let you make a platformer with a minimum of hassle, and many will let you publish it to run in a browser. You could look at the easy end, with something completely browser-based like PlayCanvas (or its alternatives), or engines like Godot or Unity which can export a webassembly-based version of your game - or if you are dead set on Python, and is willing to spend the time, there is a compiler project underway that will compile Python into webassembly so you could write everything yourself (but since you are asking this question, that's probably not the best way to go for you).

No matter what you choose, though, expect to have to spend time learning. More than a little ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement