🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

my idea for an original rpg; please help

Started by
25 comments, last by grine 22 years, 2 months ago
black_mage_s i didn''t really take offense to what you said but thanks for apologising. we all have bad days every now and then I don''t blame you.
If you invent a time machine and travel back and forward through time, what would happen if you travelled to the time when the Universe doesn''t exist anymore?
Advertisement
Playing with the submarine idea... Ok, I like the idea of a little group of people being stuck on a submarine for 3 years. Kind of Lord-of-the-Fliesish. If the original crew was much larger, we can assume that the submarine has enough food. Or we can just not worry bout food at all. Now, the submarine should either be a character from near the beginning of them being stuck, or not at all. So now we need to answer some questions: how do they manage to be stuck? What happened to the people originally on the submarine when it sank? What interesting things can we ask the player to do while stuck in the submarine? What player-objective will trigger the escape from the ship, and why did it take them 3 years to do it? If the ai is a character and is rebelling against its side, what is its motivation to do so?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Trapped, alone, at the bottom of the sea, in a cramped sub. I''m guessing these people aren''t going to be 100% mentally stable when they come out; nor are they going to be totally appreciative of each other''s presence while on the sub.
I kind of like the submarine thing too. If the thing was big enough (and it would have to be a decent size to hold all that food), you could base a good part of the game around life on board.

Exploring the depths of the sub.
Slowly discovering the secrets of the sub''s emergent intelligence or plain old AI.

Also it would give you a chance to introduce the characters well. In fact, this theme could even work as an adventure game.
Ooo! What about this?
The submarine has been down there for quite some time. Years maybe.
When they do find a way into it, which might involve the sub "letting" them in somehow. Let's say that otherwise, they would have drowned, but they wake up to find themselves on this submarine because while they were floating down to their deaths, the sub itself opened up and took them in somehow...let's think maybe like The Abyss, or maybe just some kind of pressure chamber on the outside, which has the water pumped out so that they can breathe ok once inside.
They don't know what happened to them, at least not until they find out that the ship itself has some intelligence.
It originally doesn't trust them, but is curious, having not seen children before. Slowly they begin to trust each other, as the sub learns that the children are just children, and the children learn that the sub doesn't understand any more about why the war exists either.
At some point the sub realizes that there isn't enough food to allow the children to survive...Actually, wouldn't fish do fine? How about, one of the children gets scurvy from a lack of Vitamin C? The sub rises up to let the others get some oranges or something from the islands, but then the attack happens.
The sub is angered, and retaliates against the attackers, which naturally frighten the children...or maybe the children don't even realize what happened? Like, they know they heard explosions, but they don't know what was going on.
Hey I think I like the way this story is going...B-)

Edited by - GBGames on January 13, 2002 8:45:09 PM
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
First off, to make a good RPG, you must have the following (i see you have some of em):

A. A deeeeeep stroyline. My game''s story is so long and deeeeep, it takes an hour to tell the summerized version.

B. Lots of characters. 5 to 20 atleast.

C. Items and Weapons Galore. 10 to 100 weapons and/or items.

D. Alternate Endings. I recommend this. You must make an alternative ending that will totaly suprise the player so much, he''ll be asking so many questions. Maybe enough for a sequal if you leave those questions unanswered.

Go 4 it!
"Kick ass and chew bubble gum. Darnet! I'm out of gum!"
i have an idea to toss into the mix. in addition to the idea about the mental stability of the crew after the 3 years alone in the submerged sub, how about when they emerge from the waters bent on winning the war, the war is already over? the years they spent training and the mindset they have, their brain is so fixed and clouded that they are the only ones that don''t see it. so basically they are fighting a war long since passed. you could tell it in a don quixote (sp?) point of view.
just my 2 cents worth but it would make the story more interesting. maybe their exploits would rekindle the war?
heres something you can try: adding a twist to the ending!

by doing that, you can add extra flavor. example: one of the main characters is working for the enemy or becomes the darkest creature in the universe. or your character waking up and the whole thing was a dream.

"Kick ass and chew bubble gum. Darnet! I''m out of gum!"
"Kick ass and chew bubble gum. Darnet! I'm out of gum!"
quote: Original post by Ion_blaster
heres something you can try: adding a twist to the ending!

by doing that, you can add extra flavor. example: one of the main characters is working for the enemy or becomes the darkest creature in the universe. or your character waking up and the whole thing was a dream.

"Kick ass and chew bubble gum. Darnet! I''m out of gum!"

It was all a dream? *groan*
B-)
Maybe if the game was all a dream in the first place, and you wake up in the end only to find out you didn''t wake up or that you had to wake up twice or something. But not just that it was all a dream. Too cliche.
Still, twists to an ending at least keep people talking for awhile after your game is out.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Alright I have a few questions and suggestions.

Question: Is it really necesary for the sub to have 100 years of food/water/air if theyre only down there for three years? Suggestion: Give them 3 years of food/water/air, for 7 people this is very realistic if the original crew was much larger. If this sub is advanced and inteligent then maybe it killed the crew. The reason they want to leave after 3 years obviously would be dwindling supplies thats when the sub awakens? and brings them up.

Question: What happens to the sub when the main chars are captured? Is it destroyed? Does it run away? What? Suggestion: Have it either escape or get captured for study. Then later on they can use it instead of cargo ship to check out the island. On second thought just make it get captured by Twevens at the base and stays there through the invasion of the other nation and is still there when the twevens take the base over again then it'll be waiting in the dry dock when Motu gets ready to go to the island. That'll make it more believable.

Last suggestion for now: Make Motu a little older. 11 is REALLY young to be leading an organized rebellion. Just personal opinion, but make him about 14 or 15. By this time he would have recieved a decent education before his family is killed. Hope some of this helps.

Sorry for poor spelling.

Edited by - TechnoHydra on January 19, 2002 3:18:26 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement