🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

One words for the perfect games= PARODYS

Started by
11 comments, last by Ion_blaster 22 years, 4 months ago
Have you ever played SimSheep? It is hilarious!
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."George Orwell
Advertisement
In my opinion, if one were going to put the time and effort into making a comedic videogame, I believe that a general flow of satire, not one large parody, is the way to go.

I''m in the middle of writing a several hundred page RPG script in which I satirize virtually everything about society(from politics to the entertainment biz) in a manner that does give the game a comedic tone, but not overwhelming to the point where the gamer cannot take the game seriously. Perhaps I''m a bit biased considering the type of things that I read, but that is the ideal way to videogame, or anything, funny. You don''t get that juvenile feeling in games come at you with a flatout parody circling around it. Good satire, although quite juvenile on the surface, is typically quite profound(in the right hands) in that it is humorous but still conveys some sort of message.

The only problem with satire is that most people don''t get it. They just see it as being funny, but don''t see the point the writer was trying to make.

Oh well. I hope these remarks aren''t over the head of too many writers on this board. That would be quite disheartening in such a situation.
I totally agree with the last poster. I''ve been working on a story called Sofie''s Adventure that is largely an anime parody, but deep down it''s a general satire. The main character is a law secretary who used to be an alien until she lost her memory in a spaceship crash. When someone starts kidnaping all her favorite anime stars, she makes it her job to rescue them.

The idea behind a satire is catching the player off guard. It''s much easier to be funny if you''re not ripping jokes on the same thing for ten hours of play. Diversity is integral. Worms was a fantastic parody on wargames, but it worked because there was such a huge variety of weapons at your disposal. Being able to name your worms didn''t hurt, either.

I think Garott has a good point: satire works best with adventure games. I''ve never seen a good action satire (which, as Garott said, often has incredibly shallow gameplay with a vaguely humorous facade that wears down in a matter of minutes). On the other hand, Day of the Tentacle was hilarious front to back.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement