🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A big fat HA! to you!

Started by
38 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 3 months ago
Time Traveling to the past is immpossible in my theory and I''ll show you why! All atoms shake around. This is movement. Movement is to start from one point and go to another. This involves distances. So, because all distances are either 0 or positive, you can''t go -7 feet. And therefore, because going forward in time involves movement, any movement will force time forward. So, the only way to go backwards in time is to go a negative distance which is immpossible. Now for all those people who think that backwards time travel is possible to start flaming me.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
I don''t think time travel is possible either way, but that has got to be the logic of a 5 year old who has only the vaguest concepts of physics.

"And therefore, because going forward in time involves movement, any movement will force time forward."

Who says movement causes any time shift? If I were to stand completely still, time would stop for me?

Use the WriteCoolGame() function
Works every time
Use the WriteCoolGame() functionWorks every time
niz

?tuoba gniklat uoy era lleh eht tahW

zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
By standing still you mean no atomic movement right? Well, that constitutes that time stops for you (ie, no aging, no brain functions) but time will go on for everyone around you. And remember, some things just sound really bad anbd stupid, but are profound.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Actually, according to quantum mechanics, particles travel back in time all the time. Check out Schrodinger''s Kittens and the Search for Reality for more information.
Well, according to basic Physics, movement is classified as displacement, which is a vector quantity, meaning it has a magnitude and direction. So it is possible to move -7 feet.
"...."
Or some people try and sound really profound, and end up sounding really bad and stupid. Are you some sort of sadist? from what I''ve read of your posts, you seem to invite flaming.

Works every time
quote:
Time Traveling to the past is immpossible in my theory and I''ll show you why!

All atoms shake around. This is movement. Movement is to start from one point and go to another. This involves distances. So, because all distances are either 0 or positive, you can''t go -7 feet. And therefore, because going forward in time involves movement, any movement will force time forward. So, the only way to go backwards in time is to go a negative distance which is immpossible. Now for all those people who think that backwards time travel is possible to start flaming me.

Well, I''m unsure on whether time is a arrow or not, but here is how I would counter your argument:

Let''s say the current belief is true: that the universe is expanding (from the big bang). Therefore, it is safe to say the we are predominantly moving in one direction (the rotation of the planets, galaxy, and movement of atoms is insignificant). Threfore, distance, for us, is going in one direction. Let''s call it positive. If we could go faster than this speed of expansion in the direction opposite of expansion, we could then achieve our negative direction, threby making us go back in time.

I don''t know how much I''m stretching with this argument, but I think it''s pretty logically sound (coming off the top of my head). If you''ve ever read Stepehn Hawkings, "A Brief History Of Time", it says somewhere in there that when/if the universe were to stop expanding and start contracting, time would begin to go backwards. So, let''s see what you guys can say about that.

quote:
I don''t think time travel is possible either way, but that has got to be the logic of a 5 year old who has only the vaguest concepts of physics.

"And therefore, because going forward in time involves movement, any movement will force time forward."

Who says movement causes any time shift? If I were to stand completely still, time would stop for me?

Problem with this, is that you can never truly stand still. You will always be slightly moving (heart beating, cells replicating, atoms vibrating). I know scientists have tried to stop an atom from moving by freezing one at absolute zero, but no success has been made. They can get close to abs zero, but no cigar. They are unsure on what will happen once it does moving, but one theory is that gravity will cause the electron to collide onto the nucleus creating an explosion. Or, it just might stop, frozen in time. Who knows?
Sorry maybe I sounded to literal, that was sarcasm. I know it''s impossible to stand completely still. It''d be kinda boring. lol

Works every time
OK, one more refutation here. If I -could- stop every atom in my body. That still would not stop time, even for me. Say I did this for ten years. Would I wake up and be still in 2002? no I'd be in 2012.I would not have aged in appearance, but I did not stop time. I would still have existed those 10 years, I'd be numerically 10 years older. All I did would stop the aging process (and accomplished an incredible scientific achievement). Oh, and I'd be dead as I stayed still and the earth spiraled away from me.

Works every time

Edited by - Agincourt on February 25, 2002 12:41:13 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement