🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What Star Trek taught me about writing games

Started by
16 comments, last by liquiddark 22 years, 3 months ago
To Black Mage S
Uglyness is nothing to do with Star Trek thats just Americans. No American TV show has what i would describe as ugly unless it is integral to the storyline. Anyway let this not turn into a flame war about Like/Dislike Star Trek, as its pointless, Star Trek Rules!(all of them)
Advertisement
in Ultima 7, your companions would get annoyeds with you if you didn''t behave (random killing or stealing), and would sometimes refuse to be in your "party" anymore (and sometimes they would even help the guards kill you if you went on a rampage)... any other opinions they had were sometimes voiced, but generally had nothing to do with gameplay...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
mmmm. Jeri Ryan.
my opinion is that STAR TREK SUCKS!!!! all of em are poorly written and badly acted. and the costumes are really stupid lookin (except for those borg things)

I second that motion.
In Arcanum, my characters protest when I attack someone who didn''t really deserve it. They also comment on battles, but this can get repetitive. I don''t know how many times I''ve heard Virgil say "Are you blind? What in the gods... I mean, better luck next time!"
That got old pretty fast.

------------------------------
Omnipotent_Q
"Poor people are crazy. I''m eccentric."
------------------------------Omnipotent_Q"Poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."
A few games have done this. Ultima7 was mentioned. I just got Arcanum, but I''ve killed Virgil 6 times already for that remark. Fallouts 1 and 2 did this kind of thing too, but in them your NPC''s are talking to the opponents rather than you.

I think with more random statements, rather than the same statement from the same guy about the same event, would be cool. For instance if they had written 3 "you suck" messages for Virgil it wouldn''t be as annoying.

I agree with the original post that there should be more interaction between NPC''s and PC''s...just don''t do it like Baldur''s Gate 2. The whole romance thing is cool, but I''m not interested in hearing about so-and-so''s childhood when I''m hunting werewolves. Conversations popping up at random times without regard for what the player is doing sucks. By this I mean the decision making process needs to be refined with respect to when these talks take place.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Heh Heh. Star Trek used to really annoy me but now it just makes me laugh at its crapness, though I genuinely like all the characters from the original series except that Kirk twat and the merely decorative Uhura, and yes the ''borg are quite cool hence "The best of both worlds" and "First Contact" are great. But have you lot seen Farscape? Forget that Star Trek kids stuff - Farscape is a proper TV Sci-Fi Space Opera Spectacular, for one thing Farscape contains adult themes like sex and violence which Star Trek thinks are too high brow, and for another thing many of Farscapes aliens are brought to life by Jim Hensons creature shop and hence are often imaginative and believable compared to star treks attitude of sticking plastic ears to peoples foreheads etc. AND the storylines are way out there e.g. the end of series two where our hero John Kryten is left on an operating table with half his brain laid out on a table behind him - including the bits that tell him how to speak - and Krytens arch-enemy Scorpius walks in, kills the doctor and takes the opportunity to gloat over Kryten while he can only grunt in response, before leaving him to figure out how to put his brain back in his head himself. Great Sunday Matinee stuff.

-

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement