🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Protocol for Game Script

Started by
4 comments, last by ion 22 years, 3 months ago
Question: Is there a set protocol to writing a game concept and script? Is there an example (script or concept description) somewhere on the web that I can read. Thanks, ion Is our existance a life-long virtual reality simulation from another realm?
Is our existance a life-long virtual reality simulation from another realm?
Advertisement
There are samples of game design docs floating around the Web. Some of the sites can be found in Gamedev''s Articles and Resources section.

As for game scripts, most of them seem to follow the regular conventions of film scriptwriting. So, any source that helps you in that area would be relevant. You can find many movie scripts online; reading them will give you a good idea of how it''s done.

Good luck.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
There''s a bit of a sample script in "Swords and Circuitry" from Prima Tech. Kinda old, but it''ll give you an idea. Cross "Choose your own adventure" with regular screenwriting.
Here's an example script...

*Interior: a futristic (but low resolution) maze*
Orange Ghost: MWA HAHAHAHA!!! Give up, Pac-Man! You'll never stop us!
Pac-Man: Oh really? Well then take that!!!
*Pac-man eats a power-up, all the ghosts turn blue*
Pink Ghost: AAAAGGHH!!! He's got a power-up!!!
Other Ghosts: RUN!!!!
*Pac-man hunts down and devours the ghosts. Poor ghosts.*

---------------------------------
"It's groin-grabbingly transcendent!" - Mr. Gamble, my teacher, speaking of his C++ AP class

Edited by - OOProgrammer on March 4, 2002 8:20:13 PM
-----------------------------------"Is the size of project directly proportional to the amount of stupidity to be demonstrated?" -SabreMan
Thanks everyone for your answers to my question. I am writing in an "If-then" style, using a movie script as my guide. (keep dialog in the center, and use their descriptive terms, such as Fade, Pan, etc.)

Now all that I have to do is to finish.

Thanks again, ion

Well, the purpose of a script is just to get all of your ideas out in a form that others will understand, so I wouldn''t worry too much about the format, but rather the content. Make sure you have your ideas out in solid form, so that you don''t have to be there for somebody to understand your writing.

Will Bubel

Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement