🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Hardest Part about making a game

Started by
16 comments, last by black_mage_s 22 years, 3 months ago
the thing about the design name is... THERE IS NOTHING RELATING TO FALSE PROPHECIES IN THE GAME! The title comes from a movie me and my friends made a couple years ago
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Advertisement
Hint: think about where existing games got their name from, and use one of those connections for your game, or at least to spark off some ideas.

Thief: The Dark Project (Thief is the player''s role. The Dark Project refers to part of the plotline.)

Command and Conquer (2 aspects of the player''s role, with catchy alliteration. See also: Might and Magic)

Realms of the Haunting (genre and setting)

Elite (refers to a gameplay target that the player aspires to)

Pacman (the main character)

Space Invaders (the adversaries)

The Bard''s Tale (backstory, plus referring to one of the game''s unique features)

Red Alert (play on words, joining one of the game''s 2 sides with a common expression)

And so on.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
quote: Original post by Kylotan
Hint: think about where existing games got their name from, and use one of those connections for your game, or at least to spark off some ideas...

Halo: ...Giant Ring Planet (or spacestation or whatnot)...
O O
Halo: Combat Evolved

Crappiest tag line ever. But a very cool game.
I''ll tell you why Final Fantasies are called like that.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ... In 1987 (local time) there was a little entreprise called "Squaresoft" on the edge of bankruptcy, thought that they were making their last game and called it "Final Fantasy", the game was a hit and saved Squaresoft. After that, they did Final Fantasy II (how did you guessed that ? ) and there was some *millions* of copies sold only in Japan and this was the beginning of the already known success ..

Now you know why they kept this title. I think that I don''t need to explain more. See, it''s not as stupid as you may think.

(Sorry if there are some typos, it''s 2h AM here )

In my world, love is for poets, never the famous balcony scene, just a dying faith on Heaven''s gate.
In my world, love is for poets, never the famous balcony scene, just a dying faith on Heaven's gate.
Picking out a name isn''t too very difficult. Granted, the right name and you get it turned into a commonly used phrase... But take a name as simple as Street Fighter. Look for common elements through out your game and pick one or a few to make up a name... Like you said "What makes us human", I assume the game has a character that constantly questions his own life, his own humanity, then you could make a parodoxal name, using a word like Teran to describe it. (you could be furthur ironic and name the character Terran).

I''m taking a shot in the dark, but " Vivify Teran " ... Grab a thesarus and follow a path starting with a simple word until you land on a word that catches your attension, then follow your gut feeling, since it''s right half the time.

Will Bubel

Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
quote: then follow your gut feeling, since it''s right half the time.

... And the other half?
quote: ...And the other half?

Well, it would be wrong
-Captain Obvious

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement