🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Making an animated demo...

Started by
0 comments, last by Waverider 22 years, 3 months ago
I had an idea a few years back about making a demo of three jets flying through canyons and getting in a dogfight with some alien craft. The vision grew into an idea for a game, but that''s not what this is about... While I was imagining what might be exciting sequences for the demo, I found myself being excited by what I was seeing, thinking to myself, "Man, this would be really cool." Then I was having the usual thought, "I can do it all MYSELF!!!" I didn''t really sit down and try to seriously storyboard it, but occasionally little snippets would pop into my mind... "Rookie one, can you assist, I have a bogey on my ***, over..." The hard part is making a decent action script and integrating it with the snippet images that I get. So my question is this... when you have ideas like that, what is the best way to proceed? On a game design team, does one person come up with the script and another design the action around it, is the whole thing storyboarded (do the writers find excuses to make certain things take place just to have the cool scenes they thought of), or what? I just wanted to get your insight. It can be hard thinking about what you''d like to do but not being "able" to put it together in a fashion that stays true to your (read "my") vision. Thanks! - Waverider
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Advertisement
This is something you have to discuss with your team members, and has no right or wrong answer. All you have to remember is that you can't have everything. If you want your story to be followed exactly, then the player doesn't have much room for variation, and vice versa. In game design, you will have to discuss whether you can make a decent game out of your story, and whether there is enough 'room' in the story for it to be playable. A designer may propose changes in order to facilitate this. It all depends - no simple answer. As for making just a demo on its own, this is just one of those things you learn with practice. Generally, as with any creative discipline, it helps to start with the overall picture and then refine the details as you go along.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

Edited by - Kylotan on March 9, 2002 8:44:16 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement