🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Geting Professional - Script Writing

Started by
5 comments, last by Prozak 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, i''m interested in geting into film script writing. What courses must I take, and where should I go? Writters'' Guild Association? Thanx for any tips. Hey, a Book name would also be great if you know any...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][]
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
- Carl Edward Sagan (1934 - 1996)

Advertisement
Hi!

I''m currently writing a film script. It is actually not that hard just remember to keep to the storyline you have predefined before started writing. There is a good site with film scripts on: http://www.screentalk.org were you probably can get some tips.

Good Luck!

Daniel
heya, thanks for the quick tip.
What about ppl from diferent countries trying to
cut it into the US, even Hollywood? Any tips there anyone?

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][]
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
- Carl Edward Sagan (1934 - 1996)

Hi again

I don''t actually know if there are any non-us script writers out there but if you master english and have a good script it shouldn''t really be a problem I think but don''t know for sure.

Regards
Daniel
There are far more scripts written than are ever made into movies. Of the few scripts purchased, most end up warehoused on the shelf of some movie studio. (Not to discourage you, but you should know what you''re getting into.)

The most important things to know about scriptwriting are dramatic structure and character development. If you are looking for books or classes, look first for those that help you in those areas. Once you have a script written, then worry about formatting for submission. I''ve read (but have no personal experience) that an agent can help get a script read.
In addition, one of the major pains of screenwriting, apart from outright rejection, is getting a director who doesn''t truly understand your script in the first place(assuming it isn''t your run of the mill contemporary stupidass screenplay; something we''re all too familiar with).

Something you may want to consider is writing and directing the film yourself rather than hoping somebody will make it for you. Sure, it''ll be painfully difficult and expensive, but at least it''ll be YOUR movie rather than somebody else''s.
As far as courses go, I don''t know how they are set up at other colleges, but I will tell you Indiana University''s set up.

IU has a department of Communication and Culture. This mostly focuses on film criticism and direction. IU also has a department of Telecommunications, which is divided into three categories: Media and Society (Research), Design and Production (Writing, Field Work, New Media, Etc), and Industry and Management.

I''m currently taking a class, T206: Intro to Design and Production, that seems to cover everything you are looking for. We''ve covered Dramatic Structures, Storyboarding, Script Writing, and Aestetic Elements (Camera Angles, Sets, Props, Lighting, etc).

I''m also taking a script writing class, but its geared towards news, sports, and advertising -- and mostly for television.

If your eager to start writing, you can always write it however you want. And, as you continue to learn, you can always reformat your script later. But first and foremost, before writing your script - write a treatment!! Treatments are VERY important!! I have an article game dev should be listing fairly soon (they told me 6 weeks about a month ago) on writing a treatment. If you''d like an early copy toss me an email at twmurphy@indiana.edu

Just remember, writing to be spoken is much different than writing to be read. Make sure whatever you write is clear and concise. The average person doesn''t want to think about what is being communicated, they want to be told.

Other than that, I might suggest you buy a book on Mythic Structures and The Hero''s Journey. This gives you a fairly good understanding of how stories are developed and will add depth to your script.

Hope some of this helps!
- T
- T. Wade Murphy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement