🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Character evolution in games...how?

Started by
4 comments, last by PHRICTION 22 years, 2 months ago
Ok, heres the problem. Tradition movie/story/play plot often are centered around the main character and how he/she evolves through the conflicts. But how can this be adapted to game where you are in control of the main character? In rpgs its not so hard, if you have a party, because ''you'' are treated as just another member of the party. Im thinking more games where you in more direct control of the character. Like action games, or adventure games. How can I show the character evolving, and having personality without the player loosing control? Or should game stories concentrate more on the other characters, and how they relate to the main character, and let the player choose his personality and how he changes? Any thoughts? Just trying the make the Writing forum more active... PHRICTION
Advertisement
Just free associating here, but let''s have a fictional game where your objective is simple: shoot your way from level to level, surviving.

Let''s make it story driven, so that as you reach certain points the usual mini-movie/npc chat pops up to move you along further in the story.

Your question is, how do you do character development in such a game, where there are no RP elements?

I''m making this up as I go along, but one way would be to keep tallys not just on how many "kills", but WHO the player has killed. Have different types of NPCs, all with different designations: Victim, Hostile, Neutral are simplistic variations but a strong story can support much more.

Simple math can keep track of who you''ve killed; if you''re part of Faction A to start out in the game, but "accidently" killed many of your own faction members, as you progress in the game your fellow faction members start to consider you a traitor and come after you. Your faction standing may change, and your mission information screen popups may change accordingly.

The game remains, in this instance, a FPS - but elements of the game change based on your actions.

It could get more detailed, but this simple version shows one way it''s possible to do it.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
I think you have to give the player choices. If he chooses A then his character goes down one path, if B another path or if C a third path. There are a number of different paths and different stages. Take Eric''s FPS. At one stage the player is offered a job with the police. In another level the other side get to him and offer him megabucks if he turns traitor etc.. etc..

But in a way this is superficial. The player knows he is playing a game, just as the filmgoer knows he is watching a movie. Thus character evolution to which the player relates - rather than just being an in-game tactic - is more difficult. I think anything here has to be pretty black and white. Perhaps put the player in a situation where there has to be some evolution - but I can''t think of one at the mo.
Just do a search for Project Ego for the XBox.
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
Yes, you have to think of character development as a result of player decisions, not character decisions. It''s the only way to be sure that the character is personalized to each player.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
If you want varied character development, then keeping track of kills, ammo used, paths taken, and various other things will lead you to sections of the game where its just a lot of IF statements in your code to determine how the character changes. However, if you want a more tightly knotted story, you could consider Hideo Kojima''s approach with Metal Gear Solid, where the gamestory controls the real path of the game and the player is more or less just along for the ride. What this situation really boils down to is what you want the gameplay to "feel" like. If you want the player to be immersed and "feel" like he''s the actually character, then the first way works. Or, if you want the player to feel like he''s watching an action movie and is responsible for keeping the hero alive, then you have the second path.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement