🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Now or wait?

Started by
10 comments, last by way2lazy2care 14 years ago
Hey, I've recently finished making my second game for my portfolio, a tetris clone using xna. Now I have begun work on an original game using OpenGL, but since I haven't used it since university it is taking some time to relearn. Essentially my question is should I clean up my portfolio site to display what I have currently or should I wait until I have completed a project using OpenGL and C++. Rather then only displaying the two projects I've already completed in C# using XNA.

For reference you can check the games on my website. http://www.nickcrook.ca
Advertisement
A portfolio should be in constant evolution, especially if it's displayed on a website you can update on day-to-day basis. If your planning to apply to an enterprise and bring your folio though, you are the only one who can know if you are ready and if it's enough.
Quote: Original post by Altourus
1. a tetris clone using xna.
2. should I clean up my portfolio site
3. or should I wait until I have completed a project using OpenGL and C++.

1. That only shows that you know how to use XNA. Me, I'm not impressed by Tetris clones.
2. Yes. Your site is your public face to the world.
3. No. Don't wait until you get a date to tend to the zits on your face. Zits need to be constantly tended to.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
1. a tetris clone using xna.
2. should I clean up my portfolio site
3. or should I wait until I have completed a project using OpenGL and C++.

1. That only shows that you know how to use XNA. Me, I'm not impressed by Tetris clones.
3. No. Don't wait until you get a date to tend to the zits on your face. Zits need to be constantly tended to.

I'm a little confused by your analogy on point 3. Should I wait until I've completed this project "tend the zits..." before attempting to get a job "date...". To which you responded no, then gave a analogy which said yes...

Anyways the question was essentially do I wait until I finish this project in opengl to show I have skills in things other then XNA before creating a website and applying. To which I'm assuming your answer is yes? I could be wrong though.

Since I've done work in web development I'm not concerned about the step of making a pretty portfolio, yes I will do it before applying, but the concern is whether I should add more content before creating the public face.
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper

I'm a little confused by your analogy on point 3.

Then pretend I never said it. Your answer was already given.

Polish up your public face. The sooner you have a portfolio the sooner you can test it. By gauging the results it gets you, you'll have a better idea how to improve it and what sort of new content will be most effective.
Quote: Original post by Gamer Gamester
Polish up your public face. The sooner you have a portfolio the sooner you can test it. By gauging the results it gets you, you'll have a better idea how to improve it and what sort of new content will be most effective.

even still, what if you run onto someone on an airplane or bus or whatever who is an in. He likes the conversation enough to ask you for your portfolio and a resume to submit to his HR.

Would you want to have people look at your resume the way it is?

You never know who you're going to run into.
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care

even still, what if you run onto someone on an airplane or bus or whatever who is an in. He likes the conversation enough to ask you for your portfolio and a resume to submit to his HR.

This is an interesting question to me. How can one run into an inside person? What starts a conversation, how do you recognize someone who is inside? Or it's simply a huge luck? It's not easy even on expos or events like that, because the person has probably spoken with 50 guys just like me that day.
I'm asking, because I'm seeking jobs ATM, and the only way I see to get in, is to have connections, which I don't have. Sending applications simply doesn't work. (I'm a foreigner in a country, that has quite closed work "community").
Quote: Original post by szecs
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care

This is an interesting question to me. How can one run into an inside person? What starts a conversation, how do you recognize someone who is inside? Or it's simply a huge luck? It's not easy even on expos or events like that, because the person has probably spoken with 50 guys just like me that day.
I'm asking, because I'm seeking jobs ATM, and the only way I see to get in, is to have connections, which I don't have. Sending applications simply doesn't work. (I'm a foreigner in a country, that has quite closed work "community").

Depending on where you are you have a couple different things that can help you meet people in the industry, my city for instance hosts a hobbiest game developer content yearly and companies will prospect future employees from it.

http://diglondon.ca/
my city for instance hosts a hobbiest game developer content yearly

"Hobbiest" is more "hobby" than "hobbier"? (^_^)
I think you meant to say "hobbyist."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hobbyist
How can one run into an inside person? Or it's simply a huge luck?

Yeah, running into somebody from the game industry can happen just by dumb luck. I've found myself in the same plane with other game industry people. I even sat next to a rapper one time.
But if you want to try to meet them, just network like described in the networking FAQ.
It's not easy even on expos or events like that, because the person has probably spoken with 50 guys just like me that day.

Yeah, you're right. It's too hard. Forget I said anything. Guess you'll have to go with the luck thing. :rolleyes:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement