🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Week of Awesome IV ! - Fourth annual unofficial gamedev.net competition - Administration thread.

Started by
86 comments, last by SilviuShader 7 years, 11 months ago

Slicer, I wouldnt mind being a helper and just making random art assests that people needed. However, I dnot want to be obligated either. I would simply see a list of what was needed, pick what I wanted to do, and provide that to the people. That would be fun for me, as an artist.

Advertisement

Slicer, I wouldnt mind being a helper and just making random art assests that people needed. However, I dnot want to be obligated either. I would simply see a list of what was needed, pick what I wanted to do, and provide that to the people. That would be fun for me, as an artist.

I've been giving it some thought, and i'm willing to test this out this year. here is my thoughts on how it'll work. any team can make one active artpiece request at a time, i'll maintain a list of people looking for artwork. any artist whom wishes to contribute to that list can not be on a team(or maybe they can be on a team?, i'm unsure if i should make this a requirement), and also is accepting that they are ineligible to receive prizes. Lastly each team making a request should be under the expectation that their request may not be fulfilled. Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Hmm... That does bring up a question for the judges, if I may: are there any gameplay genres that should be avoided due to one or more judges disliking or dismissing them? For example, would a "walking simulator" or a visual novel be marked down (perhaps in the "gameplay/fun" category) just for being such?

I feel like you shouldn't volunteer to judge if you don't think you can reasonable set aside your personal biases for the context of the competition, personally.

Sign me up, it's the first game contest I join!

Team: SilviuShader

Members: SilviuShader

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvaqRjp1TcJFu9hcSicNJFw

I've been giving it some thought, and i'm willing to test this out this year. here is my thoughts on how it'll work. any team can make one active artpiece request at a time, i'll maintain a list of people looking for artwork. any artist whom wishes to contribute to that list can not be on a team(or maybe they can be on a team?, i'm unsure if i should make this a requirement), and also is accepting that they are ineligible to receive prizes. Lastly each team making a request should be under the expectation that their request may not be fulfilled. Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?

That is a pretty decent idea. I would certainly make it clear that there is 0% reliance on the item being done on time, cause nobody knows what will happen. As for being part of a team, if you solo why team up? makes no sense, so I say they cant join a team if they making art assets for everybody. And for prizes, that should be worked out between the team and the artist. If the team wants to throw the artist something for the work that is cool, if not, the artist should be cool with that as well.

Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?

I probably won't be taking advantage of such an opportunity but I have no objections. It's more likely I'll be struggling with the theme and the mess of spaghetti that I call my game engine than worrying about making the art look spectacular. :)

Hmm... That does bring up a question for the judges, if I may: are there any gameplay genres that should be avoided due to one or more judges disliking or dismissing them? For example, would a "walking simulator" or a visual novel be marked down (perhaps in the "gameplay/fun" category) just for being such?

I feel like you shouldn't volunteer to judge if you don't think you can reasonable set aside your personal biases for the context of the competition, personally.

Fair enough--that's encouraging to read, and thank you for the response! ^_^

Hmm... Not a bad idea, I think. The only real thought that I have on it is to recommend to my fellow entrants that such a service not be used for anything terribly important: after all one doesn't know whether the request will be picked up, or fulfilled to one's liking, and there seems to me to be little time in which to find alternatives. As a means of improving the polish of one's entry, however, I think that it could be quite useful!

(I'll likely not use such services myself, I think, but that's at least in part my habit of using my own art (excluding music).)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

My girlfriend is away that week - count me in!

Team: Perturbation Games
Twitter: @perturbgames

I edited my post. This year I have the privilege to work with an artist. Rick. I already have my students working on another project so It will be just me (Clint) and Rick.

I will join in too.

Team Name: The Gares
Members: GTEGares and CaveCrow.
Site: None

~GTE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement