🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is being too original a bad thing?

Started by
48 comments, last by Golden Bunny 22 years ago
hmmm, AP I think u have some valid points. It doesnt matter what people think of our ideas, it''s what we want to do. Not many of us here are profesional devlopers, so we are not restricted make games to sell.

I am a Nintendo loyalist myself, and enjoy most of there games. As for kiddie, they only enforced it on the N64. They themselves have even lightened up on that rule. Take Conkers bad fur day. As NinLoy, I apprectiate games on other machines, but for me it''s philosophy. So don''t be hard on ppl who are loyalist to a machine, I have found that ignorance is strogner with PS2 owners. But I suspect this is based on the most popular machine.

So to AP, don''t be hard on judgement. There maybe factors that go unknown behind ppls decisions.

Golden, doesnt matter what other ppl think. Make what is fun for you. Will it sell?
Miyamoto only makes games that he finds found. He certainly took alot of flak with the new Zelda, and still is going through with it regardless.

JaydRyu the rambler
Advertisement
I personally think that is it a good idea…
But, it’s hard for me to picture a serous MUKY that is serous and is like the ppls in Resident Evil.

Monkeys are just soooo cute and wild and junk… ya know what I mean?

Rate me up.
quote: Original post by Golden Bunny
Well, I said my title was mature. None of that kiddiness. The monkeys use their fist and guys as their weapon. Like Resident Evil, but with monkeys as the leading role. Also, with better controls.

Bah, lighten up.

Let''s hear more of a story. The AP was right in that the player character itself doesn''t affect gameplay. What''s this monkey doing there? Why? Oh, the simianity...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I would call your main character an ''ape'' or ''gorilla'', not a monkey. Monkey sounds..."kiddey". I can see a "planet of the apes" type character in riot gear. Here''s the trick, if it''s going to be ''weird'' or ''original'' it''s also got to be believe-able. Dig? The storyline would have to explain a lot of the weirdness so the player can accept it. Nowadays we need originality. So many videogames hurt for it. Don''t be afraid to put something out. There are going to be morons out there who don''t like what you do. There always will. But have you seen some of the games out there? Seems there isn''t much thought going into them anymore. Off the soapbox...
Let you backbone flip but don't slip a disc, let your spine unwind, just take a risk!
Hahahah, its not my real idea though. Just wanted feedback. A high selling game is important man. The game developments virtually work for the public. They must make games that are appeal to the public. Making a game that ONLY you think rocks is a bad thing. You might be the only person in the world who likes a certain idea. A serious monkey shooting zombies won''t sell.
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
It might be a good game, but i don''t think people would give it a chance. I mean they would look at it as donky kong in a police uniform.
quote: Original post by Golden Bunny
Hahahah, its not my real idea though. Just wanted feedback. A high selling game is important man. The game developments virtually work for the public. They must make games that are appeal to the public. Making a game that ONLY you think rocks is a bad thing. You might be the only person in the world who likes a certain idea. A serious monkey shooting zombies won''t sell.

Well, that depends on your outlook. What you say is perfectly valid, but your outlook is that games should be making money.

Many people consider games a form of art.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

True, I know what you mean. It is the year 4014 and all of the monkeys in the world have evolved. They have taken over earth and all humans have been extinct. Most of the powerful human spirits are angry that monkeys have taken over. So they want to take over earth once more. The zombies(the dead humans from 2000 years ago) want to re-claim their spot as the superior species on earth. So they come back as zombies torturing all of the monkeys across the world. It is up to Officer Brad(the starring monkey) and his partner Officer Michaels(another monkey) to stop these zombies. The game starts with a 911 phone call from a civilians who says "the zombies are breaking in my house", the cops respond to the emergency phone call and went to check out the address(which is a mansion). As soon as the officers walk in, they hear a female scream. They go to the back and thats where the game begins.

The two monkeys wear bullet proof vest apparently.
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
Err. that is NOT original. The only things that are different about that is the fact a monkey is the main character, and its in the future. It is featured IN a mansion, and someone cried for help, which is like the fact the bravo(alpha?) team got lost in the mansion/forest. Dont think i would be addicted to that, considering my gamecube game is original + fast (since most PC''s arent as capable as games make it to be, although mine is good enough). I am goin to get started on my game soon... although its not totally original... havent started on story yet (its a 3d pokemon clone different levels, monsters etc...). Working on different aspects of the programming now so i can piece it togehter (opengl).

*site is under construction, link open soon*
At first glance, your suggestion strikes me as a gimmick. It''s like a mistake I would see many beginning writers making. Of course I couldn''t say much more without hearing the details of your design, but just coming up with "Let''s make Half-Life with frogs holding the guns with their feet" just sounds like it''s pie in the sky stuff, with very little thought going into what the game is going to be and how it''s going to play. If you are just goofing around wondering what would be cool, that''s one thing, but if you think that is serious game design, that''s quiet different.

Ut

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement