🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reaction to your own death.

Started by
30 comments, last by Roof Top Pew Wee 21 years, 2 months ago
Having said my piece about the survival aspect ( even though they have died once, due to their wunds they can obviously be injured again) I suppose that I could attempt at giving you a description of how one may react having the time to think about thier situation of after life.

Also, what would your reactions be to this situation if your death was caused by:

1. Natural death (old age)-**** finding myself alive again in the same physical form as my youthful self, depending upon how I felt about life in general would I think have a great impact on my reaction. I think this would be true for any character or any person. Were their former lives succesful, did they have loved ones, did they love each day they were a live, or did they long for death? Or were they just existing mediocritly?
If I were an old man who had loved life, had wanted many more years, or even if I were an old man who was bitter because of my old age, I might feel invigorated once again due to my new found energy and youth. Of course I would be confused as to how my situation came about, but once I was out of harms way, I think the next natural reaction is to want to find someone to answer questions as to where and what might possibly be going on.

Of course if the old man feels that he did his time and that he doesn''t want to go through the torment of life once again, he may be thinking of just letting the demon dogs devour his body, it he not the will to continue on.

2. Accidental death (in my story, one character is a miner who has a mine collapse on him)

I guess another important aspect maybe whether these characters accept their death, as I would imagine might be hard to do, for someone who was suddenly crushed by 2 tons of rock.I''m still a little confused as far as are the demon dogs there right away, how they dealt with that conflict, and what time do they have to contemplate, or are there series of events constantly unfolding that forces them to take on rolls without much time to think about the big picture itself.

I mean, do they stand around and talk to one another to try and figure out where the hell they are and how they got there?

If they know that they are dead, then does this after life coincide with their religious or spiritual beliefs, if not, will this cause them to question their religion or faith?

I suppose that if they all come from different back grounds then their may be different discussions about this issue as well, also is everyone friendly, anti social.

I think I''ve asked more questions then answered any, I hope it helps though. I actually have a very different, but somewhat similiar scenario at the begining of the game that I am working on, and being past the intial intro to the game, these are questions that I have been having to ask myself as well in one form or another, so this is helping me out too.

Advertisement
Mmmh, do you know the roleplaying game called Wraith : The Oblivion ? Maybe it could be useful for your theme here.
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
1. Natural death (old age)
2. Accidental death (in my story, one character is a miner who has a mine collapse on him)
3. Murder (a woman dies resisting rape)
4. Deserved death (questionable if it''s deserved, but one character died by being killed as he tried to sell drugs)
5. Unexpected death (A young boy of a wealthy is shot with an arrow during a riot by the peasants of a town)

The moral to the storyline could be that "you must make amends before you can be at peace."
I would like everything to intertwine -- for some reason, these characters are destined to meet each other in the afterlife.

If I was an old man who woke up in "limbo" I would probly wake up not knowing that I was dead and reflecting upon my life''s transgretions. Then this kid walks into my room and I realize that this isn''t my room anymore...

It could be like the Sixth Sense where some characters must go to a seer before they can open their own eyes to the spirits around them.

Let''s say a 39 year old miner from the late 1800''s was trying to fix the trusts to a mine shaft. He had just sent his 9 year old son off to get more nails while he fiddled with the thing for a while. When hitting one of the trusts, he gradualy made some of the rock slip, he caught what was happening and tried to hold up the board till his son got back, but just as his son came running back into view with the supplies, his strength give out and the roof colapses on him. He wakes up, startled, in the dark, thinks it was all a dream, then reaches for his oil lamp, but it''s not there. Then it sinks in...

Don''t have something yet for the rape victim. Unless it is like anmeisia with various flashback sequences (all FPV) that she also thinks are dreams, throughout the game as she slowly remembers and pieces the puzzle together...

The drug hustler, age 17, could have been a person who passed by the rape as it was happening while he was going to make his next sale. You felt a little remose for the girl, but think that you shouldn''t get invloved. You make your sales, but when you turn around, the rapist who knows you saw him, kills you too. There could be a strange attraction between these two victims, because both are murdered by the same person, but each person wasn''t able to help the other.

And the boy who got killed in a riot was killed because of protestors against this politician that also had secret ties to the underworld mobs and street hustlers that ended in the deaths of these people.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
Great comments everyone. Let me add some more info, and answer some questions:

Generally, Mendel, who is the old man, believes his life was a success. He loved life and loved God. He had spent his life always wanting to do what was right, but perhaps thought more with his head and not enough with his heart. He doesn't really think about when life should end. He believes it's all God's will, and when he dies, he dies. He has little time to enjoy his youth in this new world full of confusion and violence.

The characters are never really "out of harm's way". They find a little safety in eachother's company, but not much. They do however wonder about where they are once they find a little safety.

After each death, the world merely goes black, as if asleep. There is no consciousness. They awake in the dim blue cave with the demons surrounding them. Some are up on a ledge, some are level with the demons. All characters are eventually united throughout the game. For episode 1, you play as Mendel who explores the world and saves these people.

As the days pass in this game, the people discuss their situation.

Initially, Mendel believes it's a dream. This world is so different from what he expected to happen after he died, being a man of strong faith. However, the dream is very real, and it contiunes. The characters he meets with mention things that he recognizes from his past life (places, people, history, and religion).

None expected to appear in a cave surrounded by demons, so obviously this goes against everyone's religion. There are some things revealed later in the game that have some relation to the Chrolantian religion (what all believe in, some more than others.)

smiley: I appreciate your input, but however, I already have written the story. The reasons for the character's deaths are all thought up. I don't want to have a direct connection between the characters. That seems too cliche.

The characters' pasts will be revealed throughout the stories.

Keep the posts coming. Discussing this is helping me solidify the story.

--Vic--

[edited by - Roof Top Pew Wee on March 19, 2003 10:06:03 PM]
I'm sorry, I should have read your earlier posts more thuroughly. I was just trying to come up with some quick examples that put emphasis on character development and evironment setting. However, if you already have the storyline, why are you asking for imput? Still, everything is cliche once one person has thought of it, the trick to a good story isn't it's plot, but the cohesion of plot and characters. In my opinion, it may be cliche, but it's good to start people off with somthing familiar before you can undertand the strange.

If it was my game, (wich I realize it's not), I would go on the basis that I came up with, and only make that part of the first act. The second act is to know what to do with the knowledge they have once they have it.

[edited by - smiley4 on March 20, 2003 11:19:02 AM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
The reason I''m asking is because I have the past of the story solidly written. I am pretty sure what is going to happen later in the story as well. However, what I am doing is tackling micro issues of writing. The actual dialog. How characters will react to things. What they will say and think. Perhaps if I get some influence from people as to what they would actually do, I can see if my story holds, or if I should modify it.

The story is written in multiple levels. In other words, there is another whole store in the background that players don''t know. But it''s there for support. I have found that even if you don''t give reasons for things happening, as long as you have them to structure the story by, the story is more realistic.

I agree that characters are the most important thing in a story. However, there are some plots where even the best authors would have problems making quality through the characters.

I never want to find myself writing the stories like "you are destined by ancient writings to be a hero" or "the young man who is faced with danger and must overcome his fear to become a hero of the land" and so on.

It''s also important to avoid too many coincidences because that limits the reality of the story and makes it seem like you made these coincidences just to "make things work".

--Vic--
True. I see what you're sayin'. So give me a senario, and I'll act out how I think I would act if placed in that situation.

[edited by - smiley4 on March 21, 2003 11:22:00 AM]
The scenario has been given up above. You die (5 different deaths) and you awake in the cave with demons and so on.

--Vic--
I wonder, being already dead, would I search for the ways to die again to see what''s after afterlife?
I recommend playing Silent Hill. The games are based on a very similar premise.
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement