🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article Writing Reflections - How'd we do?

Started by
37 comments, last by SLotman 11 years, 2 months ago

However, I'd like the ability to subscribe to an article series that people sometimes do, or a specific author. I think it'd be nice to get notified when a new article is published as part of a series.

I like this.

And LTArnas just sparked an idea :) Is there a way that an user can show articles that they recommend or like. Something like how Amazon does. So, for example, if I go to Evolutional's profile (or whatever page this would be) I can see Evolutional's Article Picks as a list of thumbnails and titles.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

However, I'd like the ability to subscribe to an article series that people sometimes do, or a specific author. I think it'd be nice to get notified when a new article is published as part of a series.

I like this.

And LTArnas just sparked an idea smile.png Is there a way that an user can show articles that they recommend or like. Something like how Amazon does. So, for example, if I go to Evolutional's profile (or whatever page this would be) I can see Evolutional's Article Picks as a list of thumbnails and titles.

What's interesting about this idea is that I really wanted ways to allow people to pull together different articles and other links that follow a particular theme.. and it would include both local *and* external links. Think of it like "If you are into xyz, this is absolutely what you want to be checking out". Something with better quality than a Google search because it is hand-curated for the very best stuff. I'm wondering if something like this could be used collaboratively.. I'm not sure what that would look like though just yet.

.. thinking about it some more.. it would be cool if you could rate those links and have the top most links show up first..

shit.. I think I just reinvented reddit. Maybe we just could use something like reddit that allows for more game development centric subreddits.. where members could "moderate" particular sections collaboratively.

Well I was thinking more of something like the Amazon Wish List functionality, but with articles. However, I shudder at the thought at member moderation. I like the system here as is, thank you.

However, if user's are choosing what articles they like, then you can articles see that have been most chosen by users.

Am I being clear?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I haven't written any articles myself (way too busy), but I've greatly enjoyed reading some that others have posted.

A few are too subjective and not fact-based enough, but the majority are great.

I agree with article notations (and I saw that thread, but didn't have any real input to add so I didn't comment).

I might get burned at the stake for saying this, but I would recommend adding another ad right here to help support the site, since articles are so vertical anyway. Just as long as it's one additional ad, not twenty. I don't want ads to fill up the entire vertical space, but a second one wouldn't degrade the page experience to me, and if it gets you guys 30-40% more revenue per article and isn't intrusive, that'd be great.

Also, the social buttons at the bottom of the page needs to be bigger. Right now they are about 16x16, but they should be 24x24 or maybe even 32x32. Note: I'm not talking about a site-wide increase! The social buttons are currently the right size for forum threads and the rest of the site! But for articles, larger share buttons would be appropriate. [example]

At the bottom of certain articles, it'd be nice to have a link that says something like, "Have programming questions? Ask for help on [the forums]!", to redirect traffic back to the forums. The link should go to the correct subforum. "Have art questions unrelated to this article? Our [Visual Arts subforum] can answer them!". "Recruiting for a team? Post in our [classifieds]!", "Looking for a job in the industry? Check out the [Breaking In subforum]!"

I've noticed that I can up-vote my own articles as much times as a want (by refreshing the page). Although it's good for my morale, I don't think it's an intended feature, right?

I think the article initiative is going very well!

I agree with Gaiiden about the annotations. Also, I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to 'critique' articles. I've used private messages a few times, then I saw others (like JBAdams) using comments to note on typos and grammar errors, so I used that instead...but then the comment is sitting down there the whole time, after the changes have been made, and they aren't really contributing anything any more. Maybe a more 'official' way of reviewing an article would be better, if it's not too much trouble.

I also agree with Servant of the Lord.

Oh, and I noticed the same problem as Bacterius, with the Preview button.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention this...

When I go to the Author Control Panel and click on article Queue, a lot of the links bring me to GameDev.net error pages, saying that the page couldn't be found. Have these articles just been deleted, or is this a glitch?

Also, while I'm talking about the author control panel, it seems the link to get to it is rather obscure. Since it's just sitting up there with a bunch of free space at the top-left of the screen, maybe you could just make it read "Author Control Panel" instead of "AuthorCP" and make the text brighter so it catches the eye?

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

It's a permission thing with articles.. you can see the full queue but can't actually view all the articles. I kind of like the idea of seeing there are other articles in the queue but perhaps I need to unlink them if you can't access them or something.

As for the editor improvements, keep any suggestions like this coming.. having an awesome editor is extremely important for this.

So why are there certain articles that I can't view? Shouldn't members of the Crossbones+ group be able to view all the articles so they can review them and such?

The articles I was trying to view had the 'UNDER REVIEW' tag on them, which I believe means they've already been moderator approved (so I should be able to read & review them, right?)

So why are there certain articles that I can't view? Shouldn't members of the Crossbones+ group be able to view all the articles so they can review them and such?

The articles I was trying to view had the 'UNDER REVIEW' tag on them, which I believe means they've already been moderator approved (so I should be able to read & review them, right?)

Well drafts are still private to the author.. they have to "publish" it first. After that it goes into an "Awaiting Moderation" state where Drew approves it.. then it becomes "Under Review" and everyone can see it. Until the article leaves draft stage there isn't much reason for anybody to look at it. "Under Review" is meant to be a time of improvement, not a final result.

I see...but when I was trying to view articles in the AuthorCP, it said they were Under Review, but it still gave me an error when I tried to view them. I should be able to, since they're Under Review already, which means Drew already approved them, right?

For example, in my AuthorCP, I can find the article 'Games as art and why you shouldn't care', but if I click on it, it gives me the error.

This is the error page it leads me to. Note it says "we couldn't find that" instead of "you don't have permission to view that".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement