🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Article Writing Reflections - How'd we do?

Started by
37 comments, last by SLotman 11 years, 2 months ago

Ah I see what you are talking about. Drew has been pushing the system a little bit to publish into the future.. so they're not technically public until the publish date.

Advertisement

Ah I see what you are talking about. Drew has been pushing the system a little bit to publish into the future.. so they're not technically public until the publish date.

Yeah, being subject to this a time or two, it is a little unclear when things will be available. Or, as our conversation went: wtf they hate me??? You looked at it and said, nope, he set it to publish this Thursday..... Was a bit confusing. :)

Yeah, being subject to this a time or two, it is a little unclear when things will be available. Or, as our conversation went: wtf they hate me??? You looked at it and said, nope, he set it to publish this Thursday..... Was a bit confusing. smile.png

I thought the default publish date was set to be on January 2038, date rollover (also known as: in 35 years). Or does that change as soon as the article is approved by the mods?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Yeah, being subject to this a time or two, it is a little unclear when things will be available. Or, as our conversation went: wtf they hate me??? You looked at it and said, nope, he set it to publish this Thursday..... Was a bit confusing. smile.png

I thought the default publish date was set to be on January 2038, date rollover (also known as: in 35 years). Or does that change as soon as the article is approved by the mods?

I can't answer for Michael but I learned a bit about it. The 2038 date is basically used when in draft form to keep it private while you work on it. What threw me off was being approved and then no comments, views etc. I didn't notice it but the publish date had been set to be 3 days from the point it was approved. So it only showed up that Thursday. It wasn't obvious though until you looked specifically at the day on the publish date so I thought everyone must be ignoring the Part 2 of the article. :)

I didn't notice it but the publish date had been set to be 3 days from the point it was approved. So it only showed up that Thursday. It wasn't obvious though until you looked specifically at the day on the publish date so I thought everyone must be ignoring the Part 2 of the article.

I looked back through my emails and in your particular case I mentioned to you I had scheduled the first one ahead but I did not do that with the second article because I (incorrectly) thought I explained the week lead time to you in the previous email when I scheduled your first article. So to fill you in on what I've been telling others when I publish them the first time, the article queue has a one-week lead time. When you get the publishing notice from the site, make note of the date/time shown on your articles to know when they will be publicly available - until that time anyone but you, staff and mods will get a 404 when trying to view the article link. This date/time is liable to change without any notice - for example if I get a submission that fits the theme for the current month's article contest, I will bump one or a few articles back a day or few (like if they were meant to go out on a Fri they won't now until Mon) to get the themed article out sooner if the end of the month is approaching.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

btw, most of this stuff only occurs because we are essentially working with out-of-the-box software with some mods added on.. we can kind of overlay some of our own changes but we're not trying to mess with changing the underlying software so we can easily update it over time as new features get released.

I didn't notice it but the publish date had been set to be 3 days from the point it was approved. So it only showed up that Thursday. It wasn't obvious though until you looked specifically at the day on the publish date so I thought everyone must be ignoring the Part 2 of the article.

I looked back through my emails and in your particular case I mentioned to you I had scheduled the first one ahead but I did not do that with the second article because I (incorrectly) thought I explained the week lead time to you in the previous email when I scheduled your first article. So to fill you in on what I've been telling others when I publish them the first time, the article queue has a

I'm not complaining, it just caught me by surprise and I sniveled a bit at Michael till we figured it out. :)

I'm just explaining. It's my fault you were confused as I didn't inform you of the lead time as I thought I had, that's all

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I love this initiative. I think it's a great way to share insights in the community. I believe the process can be a bit quicker. I published an article in the game design section and it's been in the process for over two weeks. Is this normal?

If you are referring to "Building an In-Game Store for the First Time? Here are the 4 Keys to Success", then I was taking some time to decide how to handle articles posted at the same time as journal posts, since I already had yours featured on the front page. Then when I finally decided to just take your journal off the Featured list and post the article after discussing it with Mike you got hit by the week lead time. So no, not normal smile.png Your article should be reviewed anywhere from 2-3 days. I don't look at articles on the weekends and during the week I only look at two per day - so if there are more in the queue I won't get to them until the next day or two.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement