🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A big fat HA! to you!

Started by
38 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 3 months ago
What if it were to be that time is abstract and nonexistant? Well, if we were able to get back a molecular form to the exact state it was before, than you can say it ''traveled back'' in time by itself..., but not reletive to others but only for itself.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
>OK, one more refutation here. If I -could- stop every atom in my body. That still would not stop time, even for me. Say I did this for ten years. Would I wake up and be still in 2002? no I''d be in 2012.I would not have aged in appearance, but I did not stop time. I would still have existed those 10 years, I''d be numerically 10 years older. All I did would stop the aging process (and accomplished an incredible scientific achievement). Oh, and I''d be dead as I stayed still and the earth spiraled away from me.

Yes, numerically, you aged. But why didn''t your body age naturally? Because it COULDN''T since it couldn''t move and it couldn''t walk around and such. According to Einsteins special theory of relitivity, (Im paraphrasing) if you dont move time doesn''t move for you! Relitive to others, sure they move in time, but you? Nope.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Weren''t you just arguing against time travel? Now for it? am I confused, or are you?

Use the WriteCoolGame() function
Works every time
Use the WriteCoolGame() functionWorks every time
I was arguing against BACKWARDS time travel. You do forward time travel more times than you think.
"What if it were to be that time is abstract and nonexistant? Well, if we were able to get back a molecular form to the exact state it was before, than you can say it ''traveled back'' in time by itself..., but not reletive to others but only for itself. "

That sounds like an argument for backwards time travel. And future "time travel" is possible, but not by standing completely still. Scientists have (don''t remember who, or where, maybe I''ll look it up) shot a photon through specially treated cesium(not sure why cesium) but it exceeded the speed of light and traveled foward in time and existed two places at once. And I refuse to go further in this pissing match. We both could cite (or make up) sources supporting both are points. I''ll believe it when I see it(or do it)

Use the WriteCoolGame() function
Works every time
Use the WriteCoolGame() functionWorks every time
quote: Original post by Andrew Nguyen
According to Einsteins special theory of relitivity, (Im paraphrasing) if you dont move time doesn''t move for you! Relitive to others, sure they move in time, but you? Nope.

You have this completely backwards. Einstein theorized (and experiments have shown this to be true) that the more you move through space, the less you move through time. This is the basis of the so-called "Twins Paradox." This is where one identical twin could stay on the Earth while the other travels in a spaceship at speeds near the speed of light. When the twin in the ship returns to Earth, the relatively stationary twin will have aged more than the fast moving twin in the spaceship.

If you are interested in time travel, there is a couple of articles in the most recent "Popular Science" magazine regarding theoretical ways to travel back in time. Unfortunately, most of these require virtually impossible feats like flying through black holes or moving around parallel cosmic strings.
Time does not stand still for me if I do not move. I think you''ve confused Einstein''s theory a bit. In fact in my own frame of reference, I never move and everything in the universe moves relative to me, so obviously time does not stand still. What you were thinking of was time dilation that says that if something is moving relative to my frame of reference, then I perceive that their time intervals are slowed down. What happens at the limit (the speed of light, c) is that we as outside observers perceive time for the thing moving at c to not be going forward at all. Mainly, special relativity establishes that time is not absolute and is measured differently from different frames of reference.

As for the arrow of time, Stephen Hawking suggests that time as we perceive it probably must flow in the direction that entropy increases. Why? Our memories expend energy to store information, resulting in an increase in entropy. We all know that we do not see shattered wine glasses reconstruct themselves randomly.
Why is this in the writing section?

Get outta here you goddamn science freak wackos!
Through the use of atomic clocks and faster than sound airplanes, we have proven that time is infact relative. And actually moves slower the faster something moves.. and as the theory goes, at the speed of light time stops moving.. thus the way to travel into the future is to travel the speed of light.. where everything around you ages and you stay at the same age. There is no actually way to go back in time.. but if everything were to travel faster than you then you would age and everything else wouldn''t.. whereas everything would travel into your future.
Also.. if you combined a mouse and a trackball.. can you control time?

Think about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement