🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Script Writing

Started by
36 comments, last by groguzaala 22 years, 1 month ago
Sorry, I mispelled the link. It''s wwww.erasmatazz.com.

I work in marketing. I can maybe give you some ideas...

R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Advertisement
Alright, when I first started out, I wrote small short stories, this helped me learn everything first.

What I really like doing is writing a book before I start on the game. This plans out the whole game, what they do etc. This book could even be released with the game for an added suprise.

Hi,

Sorry but wwww.erasmatazz.com don''t work either. Anyway, I found some really good screenwriting sites. Got to download movie scripts to look through them.

Hey TacIt, tell me more about your marketing stuff!

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
Try it with only 3 ''w''s.

www.erasmatazz.com works for me!

Ok, Cool, erasmatazz is working!

What is the best way to write an interactive script. Iam talking of monkey island style, where you have so many questions you can ask at one time and it goes on and on and on...! What is the best design to write such dialogues.

And Tacit, tell me about marketing the game globally.

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
Read Chris Crawford''s stuff and you''ll get some good ideas on how to write game scripts and whatnot. And Freeman''s ''Beyond Structure'' site has some other good info. If you read the material I referred you to, you''ll have most of the answers you''re looking for.

As for marketing a game globally, that depends on who you''re trying to sell to. You mentioned tagetting Arab gamers worldwide. You do realize this is going to severely limit your possible market, don''t you?

What do you want to know, specifically?
Hi,

I went through whatever Crowford and Beyond Structure can offer for free, mostly informative, but still need a lot more.

The run away Arabs are the main targets since the game is in arabic. But all game crazy people are our basic target.

BTW, according to you guys, which are the best scripts ever written in games and movies?

In movies, I''d say Gladiator and Ben Hur. In games, Final Fantasy has some good dialogues. what do u think?

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
Deus Ex.
I''m working on several stories at one groguzaala, not all of them games. If you don''t mind the international posting, I would highly suggest reading PrimaTech''s "Swords and Circuitry", true this talks a lot about RPGs, but I find it provides insight into many other genre of games aswell.

Finding your own writing style I find important as well. Mine tends to be espressionistic, having characters represent certain attributes of the central theme(s) -- I like using two themes that are interrelated in some odd way.

Also, balancing the character is essential. Your characters collectively should be well rounded, not tending toward one side or another of the theme, issue, subject-matter. An unbalanced cast of characters tends to off-set your audience since not everyone will have a character they can empathize with. Balancing also aids in developing a central conflict between the characters, adding grit and drama.

Good luck!!

-Solstice

deninet.com
aeris.deninet.com

"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
-Solsticedeninet.comaeris.deninet.com"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
I was a little surprised at your comment about good scripts. At least in terms of dialogue, epic movies/games are often a bad idea to emulate. Final Fantasy titles are huge, deep, involving, but the dialogue is often very childish and simplistic (the translation from Japanese doesn''t help, of course).

Try looking at other genres for some interesting dialogue. For example, if you can handle some swearing, then Good Will Hunting has some excellent dialogue. For games, Star Control 2 is witty as anything. Also the award-winning Gabriel Knight series.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement