🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Script Writing

Started by
36 comments, last by groguzaala 22 years, 1 month ago
Bah. I hate arguments over opinions. I get into them all too often over trivial shit. Disregard my previous statements. I just don''t give a shit
Advertisement
Hi!

A good thing when writing a book, game-script and movie-scripts are to draw a outline first. The outline shall contain characters and what they will do in brief, you can either write the outline short or you can draw a flow chart.

To find scripts a good place is http://www.screentalk.org/
which has some movie scripts to give you some sort of inspiration and outline on how things are written..

Regards

Daniel
Hundley...I respect your opinions and I apologize if I discouraged you with my arguments. You obviously do ''give a shit'' and the industry needs people to. Believe it or not, your feelings about game stories are not far from my own, we just see different solutions to the problem. That''s all.

R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Indeed. I agree. I suppose it''s good to see some people arguing. Shows that some people still have ideals and beliefs that they''ll bother fighting over.

Still, like you said, our opinions aren''t too far off from each other. I have noticed that from before. They''re just different enough to give us different literary approaches. That''s what makes creative writing great, or did, when writing was a bit more creative(in my opinion, anyway). Every writer can''t have the exact same standpoint. Anyway, no point arguing with one that actually has a standpoint. I should go wait outside bars and pick fights with ones who don''t have ideals and opinions. They''re the ones making us look bad.
Well, I don''t know about that. Seems like you can get in a lot less trouble sticking around the gamedev forums. Why does your post evoke this humourous mental image of you hitting some poor clueless bar patron over the head with your Norton Anthology of English Literature.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
I don''t think you can look at writing individual snippets of dialogue out of context of the whole story. The same line that is lame and childish in one context could be witty and profound in another. It''s all about context. What the character says must come from dramatic necessity. And for game writing, that''s the rub, too. The more non-linear the story, (often) the less control you have of context and dramatic necessity.

Joe Ward
quote: Original post by Tacit
Well, I don''t know about that. Seems like you can get in a lot less trouble sticking around the gamedev forums. Why does your post evoke this humourous mental image of you hitting some poor clueless bar patron over the head with your Norton Anthology of English Literature.

Lol.

Ironically, that''s the exact image I had imagined. I hit my non-believer friend with my Norton Anthology recently and demanded he read the Byron and Burns sections. He reluctantly complied, not understanding a word of the Burns sections.
quote: Original post by Hundley
Bah. I hate arguments over opinions. I get into them all too often over trivial shit. Disregard my previous statements. I just don''t give a shit

Everyone''s entitled to their opinion, it''s just that my opinion is right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement