🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Your favorite game story

Started by
74 comments, last by llvllatrix 21 years, 11 months ago
Final Fantasy II/IV had the first story to ever make me cry, but it''s difficult to pick a favorite story from all of the games I''ve played.

If I was forced to choose, I''d say "The Hitchhiker''s Guide To The Galaxy," from Infocom. It perfectly blended Douglas Adams'' sense of humor with an interactive twist.

RomSteady - Able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
Advertisement
operation flashpoint.
serious sam.
doom, eternally.
Kwow your enemy
Call me crazy, but I really liked the story in Zelda: Ocarina of time. There weren''t many "storytelling" moments, but the game kind of drew you into it. When Link is young, the environments are all care free and happy feeling, then he goes ahead in time and the whole place is a big shit hole... I dont know, I cant describe it very well, but if you played it you may know what im talking about.

On the PC i would have to say Deus Ex. Very cool.
-NerdWear-
Anachronox had the funniest/best story to me.
In no particular order... (there are quit a few!)

-Final Fantasy VII
-Xenogears
-Max Payne
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Suikoden 2
-Wild Arms
-Grim Fandango
-Warcraft III
If you keep on dividing (man) you end up as a collection of monkeys throwing nuts at each other out of separate trees." - Merlyn, The Once and Future King (T.H. White)
Fallout, Fallout 2, System shock 1 & 2, Thief 1 & 2, Baldurs gate 2, Planescape:Torment

While Torment is in my opinion easily the best written game to date, the Thief and Shock series are both commendable for telling a great story in novel ways. The System shock logbooks and emails have been ripped of for a long time, and the eavesdropping and brilliant cutscenes of Thief are generally outstanding.

Fallout 1/2 and Baldurs gate feel fairly nonlinear, and im impressed with the way Black isle and bioware managed to give them both a tight sense of continuity even if you played it completely different from the last time. i *heart* black isle
Chalk another one up for Deus Ex.

Moe''s site
Favorite game story......

Final Fantasy 3j,6,7, and 10 were all excellent...
Metal Gear Solid 2 obviously...
Terranigma I never finished (stupid emulators)...
Ocarina of Time could be the best game ever made (certainly the best last boss)
and...

Neuro-Edge. (okay, that''s a game our company is making so I guess that doesn''t count...yet...)

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Just3D
Justin Nordin
J Squared Productions
www.jsquaredproductions.com
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com
System Shock (escape pod! get me outta here! ....shit.)
Marathon (stupid AIs! stop playing with the teleporters!)Deus Ex (they overreacted for crashing the ''Net...)

I''m lobbing anti-votes against Diablo, WC2, and SC -- they quickly become hack''n''slash or stringed missions.

-Sta7ic
Sweet Home

"Come get some!" Ash-Army of Darkness

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement