🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript logo: Any suggestions?

Started by
48 comments, last by fnm 16 years, 9 months ago
How about something like this?

Wings are hardly original, but hey.
Keep up the good work anyway.
Advertisement
I would use the same font and style as the AngelCode logo, but instead write AngelScript, and add some cool symbol. Bledniks last suggestion looks fairly nice imho, but I'm not sure the ångström thingy is really what's needed here.
I really like Prototype's suggestions. The logo has the kind of impact I was looking for: Simple and easy to remember shape, yet carries enough information to give a clear association with AngelScript.

I wonder if putting the ring on the A in Prototype's suggestion would look good (going towards Oluseyi suggestion). The wings would probably have to be adjusted, otherwise the ring would unbalance the image. Prototype's images are already very good, but it may be worth it to see if it's possible to improve even more.

I don't think we need to think too much about the actual writing. The image should be able to stand by itself, thus the writing would only be an extra information.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I personally felt a halo would be overkill (a logo with more than one special feature in typeface, graphic or color scheme is basically cluttered) and putting too much emphasis on the angel part, conveying the wrong idea. In my opinion, the angel concept is a little too friendly and 'weak' to communicate something powerful, so I turned it into some Harley Davidson/Hell's Angels thing to give it more connotation with brute power. The typeface must convey that it is still elegant. The halo is represented by color as a more hidden reference (gold paint was typically used to paint halos in the mideaval).

So far for my artistic justification. :)

Note that the images are variations of the same logo, to see how it works in different color and background settings.

Let me know if you want to extend on the idea.
Quote: Original post by Prototype
How about something like this?

Goddamn brilliant!

Quote: I personally felt a halo would be overkill ... putting too much emphasis on the angel part... the angel concept is a little too friendly and 'weak' to communicate something powerful, so I turned it into some Harley Davidson/Hell's Angels thing to give it more connotation with brute power.
Yeah, I agree with you here.
I completely agree with you. On all of the points. In my first idea, I also drew the angel without the halo.

The word angel in AngelScript isn't really related to the religious entity, but rather to my name. Though the relationship is rather obscure, and it's probably only myself that understand it without explanation: Taking the first two letters from the first name and last name and joining them makes 'anjo', which means angel in portuguese. That is also why my homepage is names AngelCode. :)

I've at times attempted to find a better name for the scripting library, one that better portray the library and doesn't bring it's own positive/negative associations but I never found one. Today I think it may even be more harmful to the library's existence if I were to rename it, since it would basically have to make itself known again from zero. So the name gets to stay, but toning down the focus on angel as a religious thing is definitely a good thing.

Still, I don't want to put limits on people's suggestions. If your idea is better with a halo, then feel free to suggest it like that.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

but don't forget that the angel in "angelscript" could be thought as lucifer falling angel (if you look at angeljuice on top of the page you see what i mean for angel!)... so nothing good on his side, just a fast powerful determined god-a-like scripting engine that will rules all over the other ones :)

anyway i like very much the prototype logo. very cool indeed ! it needs some little refinements. but it is good as it is, even.
I like Prototype's logo too, but I would keep using the ångström symbol, maybe shaped a bit more like an aureole.
Hello,

I was wondering for an angelscript logo times ago and displayed the actual Angel Script logo in my program.

I'm not an artist and do not have time to draw in paint a draft about the logo I am thinking about after reading and looking to the logos that has been show in this thread.

So this is my textual description of the logo i am thinking about.

Simplicity : Draw an "A"
Script : is an engine -> Draw a grear

Now add those two ideas :
Draw an "A" without the horizontal bar and draw on this "A" a a gear that take place at the middle around the "A".

Hope this make sense and that someone will have time to draft it.

AbrKen.

PS : Andreas, in 15 days from now your engine (still 1.10) will "drive" about 14000 bicycles in Paris.

What a great idea! :D

I've been thinking about how the 'script' part could be represented with an understandable image. A gear is an excellent representation.

I'm not sure about the A without the horizontal bar (an upside down V) though. I don't think it represents an A well enough, not by itself.

I think if we combine prototype's suggestion with yours we would have the perfect logo. I'll try to make a draft of it today to see what it might look like.

Congratulations on completing your product and having it make to the market. I feel proud of having AngelScript power such a project. :D

Regards,
Andreas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement