🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

tragedy in games

Started by
46 comments, last by tobymurray 22 years, 1 month ago
mmm... My opinion on creating emotion in games other than RPGs is a bit variable. I''ll give my theory on this. Let''s see... You''d have to use the more technological features of the day, I think. Since you want to avoid cliche`s as much as possible and avoid dragging the player into an overwhelming converstation, I think your best bet would be to use combination of Music and Movies. You''d have to plan very good scenes, scenes that are relevent (of course) and are thrown at the player in a direct sequence. Leaving the playing hanging from like, the begining of the game til the end will only make them feel empty (my guess). Let''s say... Take a game like... Well I dunno, I basically play RPG''s. :-) But have the main character interact with the... ''dramatic character'' in very touching ways. Get the playing to say "awww, that''s so sweet" or something... Then... Well, the easy way to get drama is to kill the ''dramatic character'', heh... To be a bit less violent, turn everything inside out... I suppose I''m just jabbering by now... I thought I actually had something good to say, but... hah, I guess I didn''t so...

Good luck all in your Dramatic Quests!
(and EXPERIEMENT! It don''t hurt, ask your friends what they think about your Dramatic Scenes once you actually have them in graphical presentations...)

Alex Ford
Advertisement
Without great graphics, the key to formulating emotion in non-rpgs depends on the game designer''s ability to portray the main character as an individual. Simply leaving him as the eyes of the gamer is not enough, which is what pretty much all non-rpgs do. The gamer must be able to see through this person''s soul as much as you see the world through their eyes.

In such a situation, you can''t just ignore the writing and rely simply on lonely visuals and haunting melodies. Even though writing would be more difficult to implement in such a situation, it becomes more vital because you don''t have as much time to develop a story or a motivation for the character.

Naturally, writing wouldn''t be simply limited to dialogue in this case. Interior monologues, journal entries, etc. would be incredibly to show the character''s perspective and, furthermore, that he/she DOES have a perspective. An example of this, even though it was an RPG, was FF8. The gamer was allowed to see the thoughts of Squall and the contradiction between his inward and outward self. Even though it was a "party" game, Squall''s inner persona could very much be considered "non-party" as it rarely came into contact with any of the outside world. A horrible example of this is Duke Nukem, where the main character talked to himself in generic tough guy phrases to impress the more ignorant participants in the gaming audience.

In short, to create emotion in a non-RPG game, the designer must show the gamer that the character controlled DOES have emotions and that they are playing a big factor in what the character does. Unless you had incredible, photo realistic graphics, and brilliantly emotional music(two things that most games don''t have), one cannot ignore writing in such a game.
quote: Original post by PHRICTION
But how does one create feeling for a character, and have him/her still an important gameplay part, if a non-party based game? Where you only have direct control over the main character. The player is usually not going to like sitting through tons of dialog with the doomed character, unless it is relevent, and not just to get to know him/her. And are they going to care if the person dies if they are just story despensers? And thoughts?

The concept of the ''party'' is an artificial one anyway. If that character is on your side, has emotional connections to your character, or has a particularly interesting sub-plot, then there''s no reason why the player wouldn''t be sad to see them go. The 3 main points, as I see them, are to firstly make the player familiar with the character, by introducing them early and exposing them to the player a lot, secondly make the player like them through some sort of common cause (maybe they''re on the same side) or emotional bond, and finally make the eventual loss very noticeable and permanent.

Alagner''s death in Ultima VII certainly made me feel something. I/my character didn''t really know him since he had only been encountered a short time before, but he was definitely on my side and he was definitely gone for good. The result was not so much tragedy, but certainly drama. If Alagner had been around for more of the game, I expect it would have been tragic.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions ]
Well, at the root of the concept of a party is the idea of inclusion, friends, comrades in arms, whatever. So, if an FPS, you don''t have a party so to speak, but you can still create comradeship through an AI controlled helper. But to really zero-in on setting up a relationship between characters, you have to resort to cutscenes and dialouges where the characters begin to explore each others'' personalities (and have the side effect of letting the player get involved to). Play Perfect Dark (N64) for a somewhat good example of this. Everthing is a bit shallow there, but shows how to handle a FPS and cutscenes well. As for the tragedy, the victim in question needs to be dear and close to the player/protagonist. The protagonist himself could work, but it would have to be an end of the game situation. And to accomplish making this character so important is to deeply explore this character. (It''s) loves and hates, expectations, anything important. If it''s the tragic heroine, a mission where keeping her alive would be a nice way to solidify it. Though it''s cliche'', this example helps with understanding why tragedy is so tragic. Somebody of significant importance losing life (or something else significant) is what makes the player or audience feel for the characters.

As a nice little twist, leaving the protagonist as the only character alive at the end and alone with nowhere to turn is also a tragic situation, but you have to make it appear as though not only was losing his friends bad, but now he''s lost a purpose to his life.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
All of you aries cybaby wimps can kiss my ass.

The only sad scene in any FF was the killing off of the black mages, and possibly when you lose shadow in ff6 at the end of the game
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Hummm. I think that the problem here is actually making some kind of emotional contact with the characters in the game. This contact will depend on how long you have learned the character since you met them, what background knowledge you have of the character and how important the character is to the game; these are just a few points of making that ''connection'' with the character.

RPG''s tend to have more connectable characters in them because the amount of depth that goes into them is far greater than combat simulations (Stratergy games). For example you would feel
''something'' at loss of a party member in Fallout (1 or 2) more than you would for the loss of a Mini-gun Trooper in C&C (who is frankly just a number).
"Making it up! Why should I be making it up. Lifes bad enough as it is without wanting to invent more of it."
I cried in Civ 1 when the evil French killed my civilization.

very sad

you just have to make the gamer think he/she is winning, then crush him/her.
I think you''re putting too much emphasis on the game engine. While changing the player''s troop count from 32000 to 10000 is a great loss, its more akin to getting fragged in Quake3, which is a Travesty, not a tragedy. You can get back up and find the Railgun after it respawns and be done with it. Tragedy is a bit more permanent, and it toys with your human emotions, not your savage instincts. I know some people would tell me that STORY HAS NO PLACE IN GAMES, but I''m sorry and happy to say that story is the only way to spark real honest to god emotion in your player. If you want your player to be solemn for a moment and say "wow, thats messed up...", you have to do something messed up, and that requires a scripted event, not a special case in the game engine. Likewise, if you want the player to laugh, you have to have something funny happen... Though, changing the death waves in quake 2 to insults and final fantasy victory songs works there, so if anything, making the player sad is more difficult to accomplish than making the player happy or mad.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
I''m coming out! I admit it! The scene in Zelda: A Link to the Past when the ocarina-playing boy turns into a tree brought tears to my eyes! I could feel my thoughts become clouded, my heart wrench in my chest, my very soul lose its warmth and turn to glass as the haunting melody''s final note echoed wearily in the empty cavern that was my tortured being! Oh, the humanity! that such a young child should be made wooden! *sob* *gasp* *weeping*...
______________________________I'm a Greek advocating the resurrection of the Byzantine Empire. Join me.
I think Metal Gear Solid mixed tragedy, with acction and basically every emmotion perfectly. The game was fun, great game play and great story more action games need to be like that. Most game companies when creating an action game just think about the cool effects etc.. Not thinking about how damn corny the story is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement