🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

tragedy in games

Started by
46 comments, last by tobymurray 22 years, 1 month ago
I didn''t cry, but was a bit upset after the first mission in Homeworld
Advertisement
Emotions is that thing, which can make your game popular. I most like games with patriotism elements, so I''m ending one. I think, drama is good, too. It''s a bit similar to patriotism.

I''''m a young (16 years) 3D programmer with Delphi
I''m a young (16 years) 3D programmer with Delphi
I think one''s idea of the relationship of drama and patriotism depends on their actual degree of patriotism. Patriotism can have a lot of worth to somebody with pride in their country, while at the same time, no worth at all to somebody with little faith in their country. The impression many have of drama(namely myself) consists of universal emotions prevalent in all human beings, and the writer''s presentation of them. Patriotism is far from universal.
Metal Gear Solid 2 had alot of patriotism.

The Fantasy Action/Adventure is the Best Genre
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
Window''s blue screens of death are enough tragedy for me.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Hi,
I need to say i didnt have the time to read all of the posts, for i dont have the time to do so. Anyway, a game where I first felt some emotional "consequences" on my gameplay was ONI... dunno if many of you played this game, but when ONI''s uncle is throwing himself in front of her to save her life, and she announced revenge to the bastard who killed her uncle, I realized i was playing way more aggressive and concentrated.
And I do believe I know how they (the developers) did it:
-) Instead of using high end graphics, the game is uses a comic engine. During a conversation the faces of the characters talking are displayed in a corner of the screen, which demonstrate the feelings of the character at the moment.

-) The music is really, really important. This is often underestimated. Good music creates an atmosphere, a flair, its just like reading a book then, where every detail of the surroundings are described. It''s great!!

PredeX
Let us learn to dream, gentleman, and the we may perhaps find the truth - F. A. Kekulé
quote: Original post by Hundley
I think one''s idea of the relationship of drama and patriotism depends on their actual degree of patriotism. Patriotism can have a lot of worth to somebody with pride in their country, while at the same time, no worth at all to somebody with little faith in their country. The impression many have of drama(namely myself) consists of universal emotions prevalent in all human beings, and the writer''s presentation of them. Patriotism is far from universal.

The real difference is whether you develop the emotions from the story itself or from something external. As a cheap example, do you evoke the emotion of sentiment from showing a picture of a cute bunny, or do you develop the character of the bunny so the audience cares about it whether or not they think bunnies are intrinsically cute.

Joe Ward
want tragedy in your games?

insert some random crashes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement